PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw identification help please

Tim Boger
05-21-2012, 7:35 AM
I suspect this is a cheap Chinese product but can't be sure ..... I haven't been able to contact the seller yet. It's offered @ $50.00

Thanks,
Tim

John McClanahan
05-21-2012, 8:05 AM
Sears sold that type. I have owned 2 of them. It is OK for craft work. It has plastic wheels and low blade tension. I sold mine for $40.

Tim Boger
05-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Sears sold that type. I have owned 2 of them. It is OK for craft work. It has plastic wheels and low blade tension. I sold mine for $40.

Thanks John for the info ..... for a fleeting moment I thought I had a diamond in the rough.

The search for a 2nd bandsaw for small puzzle boxes and such continues.

Tim

Van Huskey
05-21-2012, 3:01 PM
Keep looking... I assume you have an Inca at the top of your search list?

Tim Boger
05-21-2012, 4:21 PM
I do, I've found an ad for one about 120 miles away for $400 ..... I'm thinking for that kind of money I might as well go with another 14" saw like my Jet. My plan is to have a dedicated saw with an 1/8" blade for certain projects.

Do you think a smaller saw like the Inca would be more suitable for the 1/8" blade than would the 14" saws?

Thanks,
Tim

Van Huskey
05-21-2012, 5:03 PM
The two and three wheeled Inca saws have a cult like following (deserved) so $400 for one in good shape is a good price. They make excellent 2nd or 3rd saws for the average woodworker and a great single saw for someone that only does small stuff. They are simply the best and maybe only really good "tiny" saw. They won't do any better with a 1/8" blade than a 14" saw of eqaul quality, but there aren't many of those around. A solid 14" cast Delta clone (or Delta) saw will be fine with a 1/8" blade especially if you equip it with a Carter stabilizer for scrolling type work or solid block guides for stright work with thin blades like cutting dovetails etc. The Inca saws also take up less room which can be important especially is it is a 2nd or 3rd bandsaw. If you have the room a 14" saw is more versatile though. It just comes down to room and budget.