PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Shower Curtain Booth

Thomas Canfield
05-20-2012, 11:37 PM

This shows the 7' shower curtain at tail end of lathe and behind my back to drop shavings instead of going all over the shop. There is a standard 6' curtain on the back side of lathe to keep dust and shavings off the tools on the wall. I use a clip to close the two 7'Hx6'W curtains and am able to walk through split to go to grinder as needed. I still have to work some more on the head end. The piece mounted is Mesquite now down to 19"D x 5"H that is about 1/4" wall and ready for sanding and a lot of crack filling. Amazon.com has a lot of different shower curtains available and the oversized work well. I had a 8'Hx6'W that was too tall for the 8' ceiling in new shop and gave it to a turner with 10' ceilings. I used thinwall electrical conduit for rods hanging from ceiling joists.

Eric Holmquist
05-21-2012, 5:35 AM
I just installed a shower curtain on Friday, made cleanup much easier, no wood chips in annoying locations. I went with a flex track system

Steve Schlumpf
05-21-2012, 10:27 AM
Looks like you have a pretty good setup! You will be surprised at how many curlies still find there way over the top of the curtains!!

Thomas Canfield
05-21-2012, 9:22 PM
Looks like you have a pretty good setup! You will be surprised at how many curlies still find there way over the top of the curtains!!

Steve - The curtains contain over 98% of shavings. The trick is to get an oversize or taller curtain to minimize the clearance at top while letting the bottom drag the floor. I carry more shavings out on clothing and shoes going to the grinder. There is still the open area at the headstock but usually not too many shavings are directed that way.

David DeCristoforo
05-21-2012, 10:08 PM
That's cool. But I don't see any shower head!?!? No way you are going to get clean in there...

Sid Matheny
05-21-2012, 10:08 PM
I like the idea and like the clear top of the curtains to allow light in. I really need to do something like this!

Sid