PDA

View Full Version : Odd Oneida Cyclone Installation

Thomas Canfield
05-20-2012, 11:26 PM
I finally got my old Oneida 2HP Cyclone installed in new shop. The installation is unusual with the cyclone located mostly in the attic of shop, horizontal after filter installation, and dust bin 5' above shop floor.
232629232630232631[ATTACH=CONFIG]232632

The cyclone was installed as high as possible in the attic allowing for the filter to clear the truss framing. The cyclone support had to be installed upside down also to allow for the installation. The normal outlet/inlet to filter is 6"Wx5"H so an adapter had to be made using a 3" (4 layers of plywood) adapter to have 6Wx5H inlet and 5Wx6H outlet and then lag screws used for connection along with silicone caulk for seal. The filter is hung at present and needs some additional work, but works OK. Having the dust bin 5' off the floor is a bit of work to unhook, but gravity helps get the full bin down, and the empty bin is no problem to lift up. It also allows bandsaw work to pass under bin support . The installation runs much quiter than in the old shop when it was all down in the shop. I will have to keep an eye on the dust bin level to prevent carry over, but that is nothing new.

Van Huskey
05-20-2012, 11:45 PM
I have contemplated a similar installation, thanks for sharing.

Richard Shaefer
05-21-2012, 7:28 AM
I admit I'v ethought of doing the same with my Oneida, but I was worried that dust in the filter would settle on the pleats rather than fall into the can on the bottom. have you had any issue with this?
If it helps, I remember when I talked to Onedia about the raised style installation, there was no problem with running the flex drop line to the can over-long so it could sit on the floor. It only has to be air tight, it doesn't have to be right up against the bottom of the cyclone.

Charles Lent
05-21-2012, 9:35 AM
Your dust bin could sit on the shop floor with an extended straight pipe down to it. This would make it much easier to empty. I have seen several installed this way (cyclone in the attic or on the roof and dust bin on the shop floor) over the years.

Charley

J.R. Rutter
05-21-2012, 4:12 PM
Nice solution to save space. It will be a real drag to clean when (not if, if you have a planer) you overflow the cyclone into the filter. I will 3rd the notion of running a longer piece of clear flex so that the barrel can sit on the floor. It will be much more obvious when the barrel fills up and the chips start to fill the flex. When I had a similar arrangement in my garage shop, I even put a light behind the flex so that it was easier to see.

Thomas Canfield
05-21-2012, 9:33 PM
I do have a jointer and planer and know the problem of overfilling the dust bin. There is a clear view window on side of barrel about 1/3 from top that allows me to keep an eye on fill. A lot of dust accumulated due to static electricity on the plexiglass until I added the little tube to allow air to be sucked into the drum and clear the window (I know that it decreases the vacuum, but ever so slight with restriction at outlet into bin to also maximize velocity for cleaning)

I wanted the bin high for storage and clearance under the bin. I have to pick up the drum to carry out of shop in any case and now it is already near shoulder level. You have to make the most of the available space you can in a small shop (16x24) full of toys.

J.R. Rutter
05-21-2012, 11:20 PM
I know how that goes - You do what you have to to make things fit. Good job.