PDA

View Full Version : Help with wood identification

Dave Mueller
05-20-2012, 7:18 PM
Does anyone know what this wood is? I bought three pieces about two years ago and the store I bought it from closed, so I don't have a clue as to what it is. I do not think it is spalting, as all three blanks have the same color and pattern. I recall that it is from South America, but am not sure.

The bowl cracked while hollowing, but the wood is still very interesting in spite of that, and I'd like to buy more if I could find it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Steve Vaughan
05-20-2012, 7:31 PM
Definitely has the cool factor going on there. Haven't a clue as to type of wood though besides purdy!

David DeCristoforo
05-20-2012, 7:40 PM
My guess would be goncalo alves. It also resembles "black and white" ebony although I have never seen that reddish blush in b&w ebony.

Jamie Donaldson
05-20-2012, 7:57 PM
Looks very much like the "Orange Agate" that I used to get from Jim King in Peru. His shipping warehouse was in Houston, and he sold to a few Woodcrafts over the years.

Deane Allinson
05-20-2012, 8:57 PM
nice piece. Beautiful wood. I hope you get some more too.
Deane

Brian Brown
05-20-2012, 11:23 PM
Looks a little like Pink Flame Wood, but that comes from Africa.

Dave Mueller
05-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments on the wood. Brian, you nailed it. It is pink flame, however, it appears to come from South America, especially Peru. Jamie, I actually found it by searching for orange agate and came across the pink flame. Brian's later post confirmed it. It is a great wood and I am definitely going to find more.

Again, thanks to everyone for your help. Creekers rock!!! I'll post anything additional I find out about it and where to get it.