PDA

View Full Version : Is Stanley still making hand planes?

Bob Weisner
04-01-2005, 7:49 PM
Hi:

Does anyone know if Stanley is still making hand planes? I remember a Tool Traditions catalog that had a big selection of these tools, but I don't see that catalog anymore.

Thanks,

Bob

Cecil Arnold
04-01-2005, 8:49 PM
I bought a Stanley jack plane last year at one of the big box stores. They had them in boxes but has some in the plastic shrink wrap too, which, if I recall correctly were cheaper. I think I paid between $32-40 for one.

Dick Latshaw
04-01-2005, 9:27 PM
Does anyone know if Stanley is still making hand planes?

No. Not real ones.

Regards,
Dick

Richard Gillespie
04-01-2005, 9:29 PM
Sorry to have to say this but not worth having.

Todd Keesal
04-02-2005, 1:02 AM
Not to go against the grain here, but as everyone is entitled to thier own opinion, I would say I don't hold the modern Stanley planes in the same low regard. I won't deny that some are utter junk, actually probably most are. However I think some are decent midrange tools. I have 4 Stanley planes.
A 5 year old No. 4 Bailey made in England
A brand new Contracter Grade 960 (AKA 60 1/2)
A 1920 ish No.5
A 5 year old # 102 (bought for $6 with the No.4 right when I got my house)

of these only one is useless, the 102. Its hard to setup, does not cut end grain at all and is generally a doorstop, I imagine the bench planes you see at the hardware chain stores for $19 or so are about as usefull.

However when I look at the new #4 and the old #5 there is very little difference. The no4 though smaller is much heavier than the old no 5, the machined surfaces are flat and smooth, both make shavings about the same. I get some more enjoyment from the old 5 because of the wood handles, patina, and the fact that it is old and used, but in truth I probably pick up the no4 more often because the mechinisms turn smoother and the extra weight will trim a edge down with less effort, plus the short length is more handy.

Now to be honest I plan to get an older no 4 at a flea market this weekend (a guy says he will bring up 2 for me to check out) and maybe I will change my mind. No the new ones aren't going to have the consistant high quality across the entire line that the Lie-Nielsens do, but this doesn't mean all of them arent just as servicable as many of the old ones are.

Bob Weisner
04-02-2005, 9:11 AM
Thanks for the replys. I have a Stanley #5 hand plane that I bought from my local ACE HARDWARE about 3 years ago and that thing has to be the worst hand plane that I have ever used. About the only thing that it did cut REAL GOOD!! was the tip of my finger when I was trying to adjust the blade :( I sent for a Lie- Nelson SP? catalog . How is their quality? Are they worth the money?

Thanks,

Bob

Ernie Hobbs
04-02-2005, 8:43 PM
If you want a fairly cheap alternative to the new Stanley's (which I'd probably avoid), and don't feel like blowing your whole paycheck on a LN or Clifton, you can try the Anant planes. They are carried by Woodworkers Supply and are decent. I'm sure they aren't in the same league as LN but a good sharp blade can make them cut pretty good. I have a #4 that is about 10 years old and is just as good as my 70 year old Bailey #4 (minus the rosewood tote- Anant's are plastic). Maybe one day I'll get a LN.

James Mittlefehldt
04-03-2005, 1:34 AM
I bought a Stanley No. 71 Router Plane from Lee Valley about four or five years ago, it was made in England, and though I hear a lot about how these are inferior to the old ones, I really have no complaints about it. It has done all I have asked of it and perhaps a bit more.

Mike Holbrook
04-03-2005, 8:39 AM
If you want to save some money try Lee Valley planes. If you do some checking here you will find that their planes are held in very high regard. The LV planes have a few more innovative/ modern features which I and others find helpful as beginners. The LN planes are manufactured to very tight tolerances and maintain that old world touch and feel that many like. I don't think you can go wrong with either plane.

The LV low angle Jack is an amazing plane that has to be wielded to be appreciated but then so is the LN. You may also want to think about Block, Smooth and Rabbit/Shoulder planes as good ones to start with. Many also find card scrapers and or scraper planes to be must have items.

Apparently you have a link to LN here is one to LV:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1&p=41182