PDA

View Full Version : Software to efficiently fill space with odd shapes?

John Noell
05-20-2012, 4:56 PM
I cannot remember what you call software that fits lots of odd shapes/sizes to most effficiently use a sheet of substrate. Please jog my tired brain.

This is a pretty much one-time job but I'd sure like to avoid excessive waste on expensive material.

Lee DeRaud
05-20-2012, 5:05 PM
Key word is "nesting".

Steven Cox
05-20-2012, 11:44 PM
Optimisation Software I think is what you are looking for, try google for Cutting Optimisation Software

I dabbled with it many years ago but found I could do it better manually be it time comsuming.

Regards Steve

Kevin Groenke
05-20-2012, 11:44 PM
Vectric's VCarve Pro and Aspire have on-board nesting. RhinoNest is a plug in to Rhino3D that we we use on our router. Many CAM apps have integrated nesting, but I don't know that any graphic or sign apps have the native capability.

If you don't expect to use a piece of software with any frequency, you might consider mynesting.com (http://www.mynesting.com/) which is a use based web service. You do get to preview the nest before you pay for it so this seems like a viable option.

There has GOT to be an open-source alternative.

With all of these applications, you generally:

select/import the parts
specify the quantity of each needed
specify the stock size
specify rotation/flip/nest within/etc parameters

click nest (or whatever)

then presto the individual vectors get optimized (this can save a tremendous amount of stock)

If you check out mynesting, please report back, I would like to know how it works.

-kg

Joe Pelonio
05-21-2012, 7:50 AM
Most sign design/plotter cutting software has a nesting feature, and can export the optimized file to Corel or other software
for use on the laser. Unfortunately they may be expensive, but for those that already run a plotter the extra step does save a lot of time over manually nesting the objects. You may also have to use Corel Object Manager to set the cut order or it can jump around all over and take longer to cut.

Ruben Salcedo
05-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Here (http://macromonster.com/index.php?mod=descr&id_desc=109&id_pages=14) is one program (Corel Macro/s) that among other useful functions also does Nesting, and the price is not to bad, I have not used it... just passing the info along.

Ruben

John Noell
05-21-2012, 3:08 PM
We went ahead and did this one manually, but I think I will try mynesting when I get a chance. Thanks for the tips!

Michael Kowalczyk
05-21-2012, 6:01 PM
John,
What software are you using? If Corel, go to macromonster.com and type in Nest in the search box. There will a few there. I use GDGnest for corel and it works great for quick small one and the price is right. If I need more than GDGnest offers, I have the software below to cover it.

Ruben Salcedo
05-21-2012, 6:23 PM
Michael,

in my previous post I post a link to one of macromonster's macro cal eCut 5.0.

Ruben

Scott Anders
05-21-2012, 7:43 PM
Yes I use E-Cut daily and love it, well worth the small price IMHO and very flexible