PDA

View Full Version : Where to find a replacement screw for Jet 1642 lathe?

David Brimm
05-20-2012, 4:28 PM
Hey guys (and gals) apparently I had a screw loose (who would've known haha) and presumably lost it into the shavings abyss beneath my lathe and now need to replace it.

The screw in question is the spring-loaded one that holds small locking handle on on the tailstock of my Jet 1642. Any ideas where I can find one? I can't find a part# for it either which isn't very helpful.. sigh.

Thanks,
Dave

Jim Burr
05-20-2012, 4:34 PM
You don't mention your location Dave, but we have a Jet service center here. If I can help facilitate something for you, just say the word! On a related note...I have a Snap-on flex magnet that's about 24" long...really helps digging through the curly pile for chuck keys and little what not's that end up in the woods!

David Brimm
05-20-2012, 4:56 PM
Oh, oops.. I'm in northern CA near Chico.

I've tried the magnet trick but I think the screw might have gotten tossed out with some shavings by my shop helper.. doh!

Anyways I've 'borrowed' the screw from another handle (the belt tightening one) so at least I'm able to get some work done but figured I should probably get a couple spares and a replacement for the missing one. Do you have any contact info for the service center? Any idea if they'd be willing to mail me a few of the screws?

Jim Burr
05-20-2012, 5:07 PM
http://idealsaw.com/ is the local Authorized Jet Repair shop. Let me know if you need something picked up and sent. I work in Santa Rosa every week if that helps. I know they have a 1642...I watched Jimmy Clewes turn on it last month.

David Brimm
05-20-2012, 5:14 PM
Thanks a bunch Jim, I just sent them an email to see if they have any and if I can have them send me some. If they can't/won't mail me a few I might just have to take you up on that offer of yours. Your help is really appreciated!

Dave

Jim Burr
05-20-2012, 6:30 PM
I'd call about 10am...that's when they are awake!!! I've had 2 repairs/service on my 1014 and they did great. They also make great bandsaw blades! Here are the part #'s...JWL1442-202 & JWL1442-218. I don't know if that includes the spring...see what happens and again, let me know if I can help.