PDA

View Full Version : Warped Beech Thank You Bowl

Baxter Smith
05-20-2012, 4:13 PM
Back in January, I cut up a downed beech that I had come across while on a bike ride. I had promised the owner a bowl or two in exchange for some of the wood. This was the first one that I turned from the wood but since sanding doesn't thrill me.... I was rather slow to get back to it.

A little over 12” x 4” and finished with Walnut Oil.

Although I sent several blanks to various parts of the country and and roughed out some bowls and hollow forms, most is still buried in hopes of getting something interesting in a year or two.:)

Snapped this quick picture before I delivered the bowl.
Maple and beech look rather bland in comaparison to Kathy's sumac doesn't it.;):)

Thoughts and comments are always welcome!

Jim Burr
05-20-2012, 4:47 PM
That Baxter, is cool! I have some of that beech and as soon as things stabilize here...that One way is a big priority. There is a lot of coring material in the shop and you have been a big inspiration!

Rich Aldrich
05-20-2012, 4:48 PM
Nice work, Baxter. I have a pile (10 cords of should have been saw logs) of beech for firewood, but next weekend, one piece is destined for the lathe rather than the wood pile. I am going to rough out and soak in DNA and see what happens.

John Keeton
05-20-2012, 6:23 PM
Baxter, it certainly has a lot of character! I wonder how much warp one would get with less of the pith area in the bowl?

Bernie Weishapl
05-20-2012, 9:27 PM
Nice work Baxter. He will definitely appreciate it.

Kathy Marshall
05-20-2012, 11:35 PM
Looks great Baxter! i'm sure the tree owner will be happy to get it.

Baxter Smith
05-21-2012, 8:47 AM
That Baxter, is cool! I have some of that beech and as soon as things stabilize here...that One way is a big priority. There is a lot of coring material in the shop and you have been a big inspiration!
Jim, keep an eye on that beech. Although I think I put two coats of anchorseal on, I was finishing up the 5 gallon bucket of Anchorseal 2. Between that stuff and the tendency of beech to crack......You might be happier with one 12" beech bowl than you would be trying to core a 10" piece. I don't know if you are going to turn thin and let warp, but take into account a ltall enough foot for flattening if you do. I thought I had left enough of a foot but had to end up using the tenon as the foot. Fortunately I had used some 100mm jaws to begin with.

Nice work, Baxter. I have a pile (10 cords of should have been saw logs) of beech for firewood, but next weekend, one piece is destined for the lathe rather than the wood pile. I am going to rough out and soak in DNA and see what happens.
Thanks Rich. Beech does make great firewood though sawlogs are a lot less work!;):) It seemed somewhat of a contradiction to spend all the time cutting it up, carrying it out of the woodsand bringing it home just to try and make it rot.:rolleyes:

Baxter, it certainly has a lot of character! I wonder how much warp one would get with less of the pith area in the bowl?
Perhaps it would be less John. As long as the pith is centered in the top, you usually get pretty even warping which I like. I let it be slightly off center with this one just to have something a little bigger to give the guy.

Looks great Baxter! i'm sure the tree owner will be happy to get it.
Thanks Kathy. I think he was happy. His wife was thrilled.:)