PDA

View Full Version : Not as good as JK's blue on blue

Ed Morgano
05-20-2012, 2:49 PM
As soon as I saw John's "Blue on Blue" using Cobalt blue, I ordered some. It came Friday and I just had to see what it would look like. This form has been colored several times on top of the colbolt blue and the colors sanded off. I started with Cobalt blue and then added my regular blue on top of it. The form is Pecan about 5" tall and 3 1/2" in diam and 1/8" thick. I had a terrible time trying to get the colors to photograph right and finially ended up making some minor adjustments in Paint Shop Pro. The finish is about 10 coats of spray enamel - wet sanded between coats with 320 and then 600 grit. C&C always welcome.

David DeCristoforo
05-20-2012, 4:00 PM
"Not as good as JK's blue on blue"
Maybe not... but this stands on it's own just fine. It has a very "Asian" quality and even though the form "breaks all the rules" the current consensus on proportions dictate, it works. It has a ginger jar feeling and, to me, it would love a low profile shiny black ginger jar lid. The coloring and high gloss makes it look like polished jade. Very well done.

Eric Holmquist
05-20-2012, 4:17 PM
I don't view this as a better or worse scenario, it is a different scenario. This piece is from a more ring porous wood, so the dye behavior will be different than on a diffuse porous wood with curl. I agree with David, even though the proportions are not in the western tradition, the form works, but needs some low profile black lacquer lid, it would then look like it was found on the shelf in the home of Huang Ti.

Rich Aldrich
05-20-2012, 4:49 PM
Nice work, Ed. I like the color and form.

Roger Chandler
05-20-2012, 5:08 PM
Super nice finish Ed.........coloration is really nice.............you have done fine work here, and no competition with anyone els's form! This one stands just fine on it's own, like DD said. I think a smaller diameter foot on this, with just a bit of "tuck" to give it a shadow line at the base would make it perfect.........I like the top and agree a nice lid with contrasting black would set it off well, according to David's assessment.

John Keeton
05-20-2012, 5:09 PM
Ed, I think you did quite well with this one! If you were attempting to achieve the deep blue, consider that the pecan has more yellow and brown tones, all of which will deaden the blue and hue it toward green/jade. Also, as noted, the deep porous nature of the pecan will give an entirely different look. Much of the depth of the blue I had resulted from the tinted WTF used as a finish.

I agree with the others on a black lid. It would really set this piece apart.

Bernie Weishapl
05-20-2012, 5:17 PM
Nice looking piece Ed. John got it before I did but pecan doesn't do well with blue, purple, etc because of the yellow/brown of the wood beside being porus. The best color I have used on pecan is black sanded back and red.

Richard Madden
05-20-2012, 7:23 PM
"Not as good as JK's blue on blue"

Maybe not... but this stands on it's own just fine. It has a very "Asian" quality and even though the form "breaks all the rules" the current consensus on proportions dictate, it works. It has a ginger jar feeling and, to me, it would love a low profile shiny black ginger jar lid. The coloring and high gloss makes it look like polished jade. Very well done.

+1 what David said.

Ed Morgano
05-20-2012, 7:26 PM
Ed, I think you did quite well with this one! If you were attempting to achieve the deep blue, consider that the pecan has more yellow and brown tones, all of which will deaden the blue and hue it toward green/jade. Also, as noted, the deep porous nature of the pecan will give an entirely different look. Much of the depth of the blue I had resulted from the tinted WTF used as a finish.

I agree with the others on a black lid. It would really set this piece apart.

Nice looking piece Ed. John got it before I did but pecan doesn't do well with blue, purple, etc because of the yellow/brown of the wood beside being porus. The best color I have used on pecan is black sanded back and red.

John and Bernie,
Blue used to be my favorite color but I'm definitely leaning toward other colors for these wood pieces. I've had better luck with the orange/red colors than anything and will probably move back in that direction. Black is always good too!

Steve Schlumpf
05-20-2012, 8:44 PM
Like DD - this reminds me of a ginger jar! It's pretty cool! If you do decide on adding a black lid - be sure to post a photo or two if it! Nice work!!

Baxter Smith
05-21-2012, 8:57 AM
I like the jade look on this one Ed. I am going to give the blue (just transtint) a try on some ash as soon as it is dry. I am tempted to try an airbrush to minimize lap marks. How have you been applying yours?

Bill White
05-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Ed, I like the form and color.
I would like to see a posting about "western" form. Guess that I don't know the supposed "rules".
Anybody wann start a new thread?
Bill

Ed Morgano
05-21-2012, 10:34 AM
I like the jade look on this one Ed. I am going to give the blue (just transtint) a try on some ash as soon as it is dry. I am tempted to try an airbrush to minimize lap marks. How have you been applying yours?

Baxter,
I've used several methods. (I'm using alcohol based transtint dye) This dye can be applied directly to the wood, but I have found that you can also apply it after you've applied a finish and then apply more finish on top of it. I don't use an alcohol based finish such as shellac as it would desolve the dye. 1. use a brush and then wipe the excess off with an alcohol soaked rag. 2. Apply with a brush right over the enamel after I've applied several coats of enamel. Then apply some more enamel on top of the dye. I usually do this in the lathe on slow speed. 3. Use an air brush either directly on the wood or over the enamel. Then re-coat with more enamel. This will allow me to darken an area more than another i.e. apply more to the bottom of a form or top or middle, whatever the case may be. I love the effects of the air brush, but I haven't used it a lot so far. It's also good for blending from one color to another. I'll be doing more of this in the future.

Baxter Smith
05-21-2012, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the info Ed.