PDA

View Full Version : Delta 46-715 Lathe - Maint. Advice Needed

Dick Davis
05-20-2012, 10:43 AM
I keep the shafts and spring clean and well lubed on my Delta 46-715 lathe. Should I wax or lightly lube the reeves drive pulley surfaces that mate with the drive belt? I can't find any reference or recommendation in the manual or on the web - hope it's not a foolish question.

Steve Schlumpf
05-20-2012, 11:04 AM
Dick - I have never owned a reeves drive lathe but I would think that you would want the pulley surfaces clean - without any wax, oil, etc - so that the belt/pulley surface has friction. You lube it.... have to think your belt would slip... a lot!!

mickey cassiba
05-20-2012, 4:24 PM
On the -715, and any reeves type drive, the pulley surfaces should not be lubricated. the shaft and bushings could benefit from some sort of dry lube, a graphite stick, or such. but the sheaves and belt need 100% contact to function properly.

Harry Robinette
05-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Most reeves drives have a grease fitting on the end of the shaft or in the shaft somewhere. My General and an old Rockwell I had both have grease
fittings on the end of the shaft. You grease them till you see grease coming out the outside edge of the pulley or the grease thats there starts moving.

Dick Strauss
05-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Mickey is right on this one. He has worked on many of these lathes and other Delta machines so you should trust what he says.

I have had a 46-715 for 5 years or so. If you put grease on the shafts, it will collect sawdust and bind (that is why Mickey suggested dry lube). Steve and Mickey are right that waxing the friciton surfaces is not a good idea.