PDA

View Full Version : Sunburned Bowls

Baxter Smith
05-19-2012, 9:55 PM
A couple months ago, Kathy Marshal graciously sent me a piece of African Sumac that she thought I might like to core. She was right!;):) I posted them here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?183355-Inspiration-in-the-Mail&highlight) but thought you might be interested in the seeing final colors.

After spending the last couple months in paper bags, I brought them back into the shop, did a little more sanding and gave them another coat of walnut oil. Kathy had mentioned they would redden up a bit in the sun so thought it was time to give it a try. Set them on the front porch and took a couple pictures.

Since I needed a couple bowls for the rhubarb I had just picked…

The next day there was more sun bathing and more rhubarb……

After three days in the sun….
11" x 4" x 1/4" for the largest.

Thanks again for the beautiful wood Kathy!

Thoughts and suggestions are always welcome.

charlie knighton
05-19-2012, 10:07 PM
very nice, like the color, would not have thought to put them in the sun, interesting idea

Hayes Rutherford
05-19-2012, 10:32 PM
Nice color development, more than just normal "tanning". Wish we had rhubarb, it's at least another week or two out around here.

Bernie Weishapl
05-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Boy Baxter those turned out nice and the color is awesome. The sun really brought the color out.

Eric Gourieux
05-19-2012, 11:14 PM
Baxter,
Nice job on the bowls. A coring system is on my wishlist. It's amazing how the color changed on these? Is this unique to African sumac? Very well done.

Kathy Marshall
05-19-2012, 11:18 PM
I really love how those colored up Baxter! It's an awesome color and an awesome set!

John Keeton
05-20-2012, 6:23 AM
I recall these bowls, Baxter, and the drying and sunbath really brought out the beauty!

Michelle Rich
05-20-2012, 6:26 AM
wow! stunning set

Dennis Ford
05-20-2012, 7:23 AM
They looked nice before the sun bath but now they are really pretty.

My grandmother used to make rubarb pie; I loved it, my wife can't stand the smell of it cooking.

Dale Miner
05-20-2012, 7:29 AM
Baxter,

Great looking set of bowls.

Rhubarb with a few strawberries makes a great pie. Ice cream is optional, but is recommended.

The suntan on the bowls is a positive. Works on cherry too.

Rex Guinn
05-20-2012, 8:15 AM
I really like this set, you did a great job on the coring. I want some of that rubarb it looks yummy!

Doug Reesor
05-20-2012, 8:38 AM
I suggest you pick more rhubarb! The need for more bowls demands it! Very nice job.

Thomas Bennett
05-20-2012, 9:00 AM
Well done Baxter......just perfect! I love that wood.

Steve Schlumpf
05-20-2012, 10:49 AM
WOW!!! Amazing rich color! Sure is one beautiful bowl set!!

Alan Trout
05-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Baxter that turned out to be a wonderful set of bowls. I love the color.

Alan

Kelvin Burton
05-20-2012, 12:14 PM
Really nice set of bowls! Osage Orange does the same in the sun I'm told. We can't grow Rhubarb here in East TX, doesn't get cold enough. I really miss it, it was very common for us in NZ before we moved here.

Sid Matheny
05-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Man what a great set of bowls and setting the African Sumac in the sun is a new one on me. Thanks for sharing the pictures and the lesson.

Sid

Baxter Smith
05-20-2012, 1:34 PM
;)Thanks for commenting. Glad you enjoyed the bowl pics. They definitely have the "Hey look at me" color!

.. It's amazing how the color changed on these? Is this unique to African sumac? ....
Eric, I don'tknow if other kinds of sumac would do something similar or not. This is the only kind I have turned and would never have set them in the sun without Kathy mentioning it.

I really love how those colored up Baxter! It's an awesome color and an awesome set!
Thanks again for the such interesting and beautiful wood Kathy! They certainly catch ones eye and we love having and using them!

....My grandmother used to make rubarb pie; I loved it, my wife can't stand the smell of it cooking.
Dennis, the smell of cooking rhubarb is distinctive but I don't mind it. The results are worth it!;)

..........Rhubarb with a few strawberries makes a great pie. Ice cream is optional, but is recommended.....
Dale, I couldn't agree more on adding the strawberries. Vanilla ice cream with rhubarb sauce on top is a unique flavor but I like it!!

........ I want some of that rubarb it looks yummy!
Main course or dessert Rex?:)

..........I suggest you pick more rhubarb! The need for more bowls demands it! Very nice job.
Doug, there is more....and it will get picked!

....We can't grow Rhubarb here in East TX, doesn't get cold enough. I really miss it, it was very common for us in NZ before we moved here.
Wish I could send you some Kevin. I never realized it was a worldwide delicacy!:D I am always surprised by how many people have never tried it or even heard of it. When they try it, they almost always like it though..... As long as you add enough sugar!;):)

David DeCristoforo
05-20-2012, 2:16 PM
Great looking bowls... great looking rhubarb... and great looking pie. But the pork chops! my god... the pork chops!