PDA

View Full Version : gloat

charlie knighton
05-19-2012, 5:09 PM
received today Thompson 3/8 shallow detail gouge

Roger Chandler
05-19-2012, 5:28 PM
Gonna love it, Charlie...........I use mine all the time........definitely one of my go to tools!

John Keeton
05-19-2012, 5:51 PM
Charlie, that is one of my favorites! The Hosaluk insert, on the other hand, I will never recommend. It may do fine with the spindle gouge, but I had a catch with a bowl gouge and the insert exploded the end of the handle. The concept of not having a ferrule and drilling out twice as much wood as would otherwise be done, IMO is not a good design. I hope you have better luck with it.

charlie knighton
05-19-2012, 7:21 PM
yes, Roger, i have heard good things about it

John, the detail gauge was referanced in one of your threads about euorpeon gouge i believe, i may try to use a pvc pipe as a ferrule as that area needs a knob for the insert, not sure how it will look vs brass or copper but i have some laying around

Bernie Weishapl
05-19-2012, 11:35 PM
Charlie love my DT detail gouge. You will to. I must say I had the same experience with the insert. I bought 3 to use on 2 bowl gouges. Both busted out. I just turned handles for those gouges and threw the inserts away. There is not enough wood to put a copper or brass ferrell on.

Steve Schlumpf
05-20-2012, 11:00 AM
Congrats on your new detail gouge! Let us know how you like using it!

Reed Gray
05-20-2012, 11:04 AM
I would never use a wood handle with out a ferrule. I remember David Ellsworth turning a green handle and using nylon twine on the end, wrapped tightly and then chased with super glue.

robo hippy

charlie knighton
05-25-2012, 11:20 AM
finally finished handle for shallow 3/8 gouge, definetly not a piece of beauty, but hope to get plenty of use, i like a thicker handle, easier on my hands

btw....when you get the hole for The Hosaluk insert a little too big and also the pvc insert a little too big i refer to what i learned from Dale Nish at one of his rotations:

that is just take a little masking tape and wrap to make the insert just right.....thanks again Dale

charlie knighton
05-25-2012, 11:44 AM
seem to have problem uploading files, when computer reset put new picture software on (gimp 2.8), i can adjust my pictures but it changes everything from jpeg to xcf and when i select them there is an exclamation mark that says it will not upload????

charlie knighton
05-25-2012, 2:17 PM
well, i had to go back to my old files , Dan had them on computer, i just had to find them

here is my new tool handle, wood is dogwood

pvc is 2 inch inside diameter, lenght about 12 inches, main grip area about 1 1/2 inches

always wanted handle i could put multiple gouges in

Jim Underwood
05-25-2012, 2:40 PM
I agree with John on those inserts. I think they only belong on a metal handle. The wood handle just doesn't hold up when the steel tooling gets the mechanical advantage...

Jim Burr
05-25-2012, 3:50 PM
Wouldn't trade mine for anything!! It will become your go-to gouge!