PDA

View Full Version : Do all Stanley planes have the name Stanley or Bailey on them?

Matthew Curtis
05-19-2012, 4:01 PM
Do all Stanley planes have the name Stanley or Bailey on them?

Mike Brady
05-19-2012, 6:49 PM
The #1's do not have either ID on them. I'm not sure about the others but all of mine do (I am assuming you mean the body of the plane).

Greg Wease
05-19-2012, 7:01 PM
There is a lot of info on Bailey and Bed Rock models (Type studies). These will tell you the markings on the bed, lever cap, lateral lever, etc. None of the Bailey or Bed Rock planes were marked Stanley on the bed.

Bill Houghton
05-19-2012, 7:47 PM
No. Stanley also made "Handyman," "Defiance" (my examples of these don't say "Stanley" anywhere), "Four Square," etc. Many of these, although interesting for collectors, are Not Desirable Users. For instance, I've somehow acquired two Defiance planes, both of which have irons (cutting irons/blades) that are noticeably thinner than the Bailey planes in my kit. Thicker than tissue paper, but not necessarily by much. I've never used them, but I would expect them to imitate a squirrel in a mood if I used them on anything more challenging than balsa wood.

Matthew Curtis
05-19-2012, 8:15 PM
So I ha ve a plane labeled "no 5" in front of the knob. The lever cap has a Stanley sweetheart logo on the back (no lettering) just the outline. No frog adjustment screw. This frog as described on blood and gore: "design is simply a broad and flat rectangular area that is machined on the bottom casting. This machined area is rather low, and has two holes that receive the screws which are used to secure the frog in place". On the heal are five dimple in the shape as a 5 die would be. Under the tote in the rescessed part of the raised bed as a number "3". Ther is no lettering anywhere else that I can find. Not on the frog, or the adjustment le ver, or the depth adjustment wheel.

It is also corrugated.

So my question, Stanley, or not?? How old??

Jim Neeley
05-19-2012, 9:45 PM
"a squirrel in a mood"

LOL, Bill, the *imagery*!!

Greg Wease
05-19-2012, 9:58 PM
Really need a photo or two to answer your question. Clould be a Bailey Type 6 or so. What shape is the lateral lever?

Matthew Curtis
05-19-2012, 10:17 PM
the lateral le ver has a twist to it.

Matthew Curtis
05-19-2012, 10:19 PM
Bailey???
What is the difference between Bailey and Stanley? Thought they were the same...

Bill Houghton
05-19-2012, 10:45 PM
the lateral le ver has a twist to it.

Once the Bailey and Stanley patents expired, there were a lot of manufacturers turning out Bailey-style planes. Four of the big ones were Stanley, Sargent, Union, and Millers Falls. Each used a slightly different end on the lateral lever, and Walt Quadrato of Brass City Records and Tools has been kind enough to post a picture, which you can find here: http://www.brasscityrecords.com/toolworks/graphics/plane%20id.html. However, there may well have been other makers, and I've seen planes that I would swear were made by one of the manufacturers listed that had a different type of lateral adjuster lever.

"Bailey" was, traditionally, Stanley's method of signaling that the plane was (almost) the top of the line. The very top was the Bedrock series, but these are built differently and, after the first series, shaped differently.

On some levels, it kind of doesn't matter. If the plane's a good one, any maker's plane will make curls.

Jim Koepke
05-20-2012, 3:22 AM
the lateral lever has a twist to it.

That could be either a Union plane or a or Ohio tool also used the lever with a twist.

The Bailey name did not appear on the base of the Stanley planes until 1902. It did appear inside the brass adjuster before the 1890s.

The lateral lever on a Stanley plane is distinct and should have the name Stanley stamped into it.

On some of the Union planes the disk on the lateral adjuster is above the rivet. I do not know how Ohio tools made their lateral adjuster set up.

jtk

Matthew Curtis
05-20-2012, 8:21 AM
As you can see ther is a number 3 with a circular marking in the tote reciever, with afive dimple pattern behind the reciever

The frog reciever looks just like the pic on the bood and gore page of the second major design

no name, but No 5 in front of the knob
corrigated bottom
twisted adjustment lever,no nome or markings
a sweet heart logo on the back of the le vercap but no lettering on it

So what is it??

Bill Houghton
05-20-2012, 1:11 PM
So what is it??

I think you may have what is politely known as a frankenplane - a plane assembled from several different makers' parts. Nothing inherently wrong with this for a plane you'll be using (as opposed to collecting), as long as the various parts play well together. I've got a Stanley Bailey 5-1/4, picked up as just a body with knob and tote, on which I've put a lever cap from another maker (no idea what maker) and scrounged Stanley but not necessarily type-correct cutting iron/cap iron. Works just fine.

I'll have to look at my Sweetheart era planes to see if the lever cap's got the logo hidden on the back; never paid attention.

Jim Koepke
05-20-2012, 1:21 PM
Stanley bought Union Plane Company in 1920. Yours could be one from that era or as Bill said, it could be a Frankenplane.

If it works well, it doesn't matter.

As far as collectors go, I think some would pay a premium for the lever cap.

jtk

steven c newman
05-20-2012, 1:33 PM
I have both aDefiance #3 and a Handyman 1204. Use them all the time as smoothers.. Defiance does have a TAPERED iron, at least mine does. The handyman is just a run of the mill type iron, but, I can get paper thin shavings in Beech. Didn't like the Handyman handles, so I made new ones, from walnut stained hardwood. The defiance #3 has new handles as well.....out of black walnut. As I said, both ARE users....

Greg Wease
05-20-2012, 1:44 PM
Bailey???
What is the difference between Bailey and Stanley? Thought they were the same...

Stanley is the company, Bailey is the model (think GM and Chevy).

Stanley made planes for other companies and used a twisted lateral like yours rather than their normal one. The only thing identifying the company (such as Wards) was the logo on the lever cap and iron. I think you may have a pre-1902 Bailey style plane made for another company. Your lever cap is from a later Bailey plane. As I understand it, they were used on the first run of sweetheart planes in 1920 and are fairly rare. I'd tune it, use it and forget the pedigree.

Mike Brady
05-21-2012, 3:57 PM
It has a name: Made by Frank N. Plane.

We know the frog isn't a Stanley and the body isn't a Stanley. Just the lever cap is. Just don't call it a b***t**d.

Oddly enough, I have several Sweetheart planes and none of them have the SW logo inside the lever cap. That's cool.

Matthew Curtis
05-21-2012, 4:58 PM
I think I will take the lever cap and put it on my stanley #4

Brian Kerley
05-21-2012, 6:04 PM
You've got a good user plane there. I say who cares about collectors. I have a #3 that I love dearly. Heck, it was my first used plane I purchased. Though, I swapped out for a larger adjusting nut. And a low knob. And a nicer rosewood handle. Oh, and an LV iron.

kim herrick
07-06-2022, 10:15 PM
not all are marked, you can find out what type of stanley plane you have here - https://woodandshop.com/identify-stanley-hand-plane-age-type-study/

Jim Koepke
07-07-2022, 1:16 AM
Another zombie thread woken from a decade ago.

Looking through this again, imo, that isn't a Stanley plane except for the lever cap.

For typing Stanley/Bailey planes my favorite has always been Rexmill.

Rexmill has left the internet but is still available as an archived file > https://web.archive.org/web/20191222134355/http://www.rexmill.com/planes101/typing/typing.htm

It may be possible to save that on your computer as a web archive to keep all the images.

They say things live forever on the internet. A lot of great information has left the internet because of some hosting services decided to no longer be a hosting service.

jtk