PDA

View Full Version : I need help from Tech gurus for my CD x6 upgrade

Dee Gallo
05-19-2012, 1:31 PM
Hi all,

I finally upgraded from x3 to x 6 - hahaha, right? SO! On the box (still unopened) it says I need this, that and the other. My question is how do I know if I have the right system requirements if I am running Windows XP on my Mac? Specifically:

1. Windows XP with all service packs installed - I have NEVER done a service pack... can I catch up on them? I have XP Pro.
2. Intel Pentium 4 - My Mac says I have Intel Core 2 Duo
3. 1.5 GB hard disk - I have 2 GB, but only half of that is designated for the Windows side
4. Microsoft Internet Explorer - I would never use this, I use Safari or Firefox

I really got this because it was only going to get much more expensive later, but want to know if I have to wait until I upgrade my computer too? I also have CorelDraw x3 on my Vaio but it's even older than the Mac, so I am assuming I have to stick with what I have until I can get all new computers. Am I right?

Everything works now, I don't NEED the new version, but just want to know what I have to do in order to use it eventually.

Thanks for your expertise and help, dee

Scott Shepherd
05-19-2012, 1:42 PM
1. Sure can.
2. I think you're fine there.
3. Can't answer that, but I'd question just what's taking up 1.5GB of space for that install. Sounds like it's installing way more stuff than normal.
4. I think it calls for that to use their new sharing application. I don't think you'll need it, but it's already installed on your Windows side, I'm guessing, so nothing new to install.

Larry Bratton
05-19-2012, 1:50 PM
Hi Dee,
I would say your probably good to go with the exception of the service packs. You definitely need to download and install them. Normally computers running Windows have those service packs downloaded to them automatically. You may have them and are not aware of it, I don't have XP anymore as I got new machines loaded with Windows 7 Pro, so if I recall correctly, right click on the My Computer icon and open Properties. (that's for a Windows machine and not a Mac though, so that may be different) Good luck.

Rich Harman
05-19-2012, 2:17 PM
3. 1.5 GB hard disk - I have 2 GB, but only half of that is designated for the Windows side

That can't be right....

Dee Gallo
05-19-2012, 2:19 PM
Thanks Steve and Larry,

That makes me feel better! I have automatic updates turned off because it was so annoying... now I'll probably have to dedicate some time to downloading and installing several years worth of updates.

Steve: regarding the large install file number - do I want to do a "custom" install? This version comes with CorelDraw x6, Photo-Paint, PowerTrace, Website Creator, Capture, Connect, PhotoZoom Pro 2, and ConceptShare. I'm thinking I don't need Website Creator or CpnceptShare.

Anthony Scira
05-19-2012, 2:24 PM
I would highly recommend if the computer is connected to the internet you use automatic updating. These are usually security patches and are not really an option IMHO.

Rich Harman
05-19-2012, 2:32 PM
Dee, if you really only have 2GB available on your HDD then I would deal with that problem first. I think it must be a typo, or your computer is very old - in which case it would not be able to run XP.

Rich Harman
05-19-2012, 2:39 PM
Also, are you running XP in a virtual machine or via BootCamp (dual boot)?

I prefer to boot up natively so that Windows doesn't have to share the computer with OS X. Although I have found Corel X5 to work fine under VMware Fusion.

I run X6 on my quad core MacBook Pro booted straight to Win7, works pretty well but sometimes lags more than I would like. I am sure the lag would be worse if it were running in a virtual machine.

Mike Lassiter
05-19-2012, 2:40 PM
I think she was referring to RAM

Rich Harman
05-19-2012, 2:42 PM
I think she was referring to RAM

Probably.

RAM is getting pretty cheap again. It may well be worth upgrading.

Dee Gallo
05-19-2012, 2:52 PM
Okay guys, thanks again - yes, I just checked the hard drive and it's really 118 GB, so that's better. Told you I'm not a techie! S'why I need you guys!

I save all my files on an external drive with boatloads of memory.

Rich, I use BootCamp - I much prefer it over Parallels and it works flawlessly.

So I guess now I need to start getting those service packs downloaded. Is X6 worth all this trouble?

Thanks a lot, dee

Dee Gallo
05-19-2012, 3:23 PM
Dang - did I do something wrong? I turned on Automatic Updates and it told me I needed to download updates, I clicked ok and in one minute it was done. My info now says that I am 100% good to go. Was that too easy or what?

Rich Harman
05-19-2012, 4:02 PM
Be sure to check for updates every time it has completed an update. It can take many iterations to finish installing all updates.

Scott Shepherd
05-19-2012, 6:20 PM
Is X6 worth all this trouble?

Thanks a lot, dee

Nope :) (Sorry, couldn't resist :) )

Dee Gallo
05-19-2012, 6:25 PM
Thanks Steve, that's very encouraging...hahahaha. Tonight I plan to read the book that came with it. An actual hardbound book! I'll probably be asleep in a few minutes. G'night!

Steve Clarkson
05-19-2012, 8:09 PM
I guarantee you'll like the b-spline tool......but other than that.........

Dee Gallo
05-20-2012, 9:56 AM
Steve,

261 pages and not one mention of a "b-spline tool". I guess I'll have to wait until I install it to see this tool. Also, 261 pages of "nothing new" - it does not look they changed anything in this version except the names of the tools or procedures.

Steve Clarkson
05-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Dee, it works like the bezier tool except it's for curves. If you ever tried to draw a circle with the bezier, no matter how many points you use, it will always look like a polygon........but the b-spline lets you draw curves.

Dee Gallo
05-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Hmmmm, Steve. I am able to draw pretty much any shape I want with the bezier tool. And I've done probably thousands of complex shapes over the years. From what i can see from the Corel site, this tool eliminates one step - selecting the nodes and adjusting them. But I rarely want a "geometric" curve, so I'd end up adjusting it anyway.

John Noell
05-20-2012, 3:23 PM
Be sure to check for updates every time it has completed an update. It can take many iterations to finish installing all updates.YEs, restart and check again. Usually the package installer is the first (and only) update on machine like yours. Next comes the 100+ updates the first one facilitates. :)

Dee Gallo
05-20-2012, 4:00 PM
Oh swell... you guys are so right. I just restarted and had to wait for 64 updates. Now I remember why I turned the thing off...