PDA

View Full Version : Norfolk Island Pine

Bernie Weishapl
05-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Here are two more pieces of Norfolk Island pine that I had bought. The first two pictures are similar to the first one. The second I tried my hand at a Steve Schlumpfish southwest style. The first one measures 7" W X 4 1/4" H finished with Lacquer and the second is 6" H X 6 3/4" W finished with Water Based Lacquer. Walls on the first is a little less than 3/8" and the second I pushed the limits but a pretty consistant 1/8". This is just a fun wood to turn so guess I will order some more.

Harry Robinette
05-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Nice work Bernie I've only turned one piece of NIP and it wasn't bad to turn but just not something I really enjoyed. The finish you have on these is really nice the shine is like a mirror.

Roger Chandler
05-19-2012, 12:20 PM
These are pretty Bernie.........a couple of questions: on the first one, did you hollow from the bottom or if from the top, how far over to the edge were you able to hollow out? On the second form..........what style is this? Would it qualify as southwestern or perhaps Egyptian?

charlie knighton
05-19-2012, 1:35 PM
like both pieces

Bernie Weishapl
05-19-2012, 1:53 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Roger the second one I am calling it a southwest style. I hollowed both from the top using Ellsworth tools. Just wanted to see if I could still use the hand held after using the monster for so long. On the southwest style I went to the monster tool in a handle. The tool had more heft to it because I was about 6" over the rest. Light cuts and it turned pretty good.

John Keeton
05-19-2012, 4:45 PM
Bernie, you seem to have taken to the NIP pretty well!! Interesting form on the second one, and I really like the coloration on the first - spalting, I guess?

Bernie Weishapl
05-19-2012, 4:52 PM
Thanks John. Yes it is spalting. I just wanted to do something different. I am still on the fence with it but the wife seems to like it. I saw a piece of pottery in Denver and then saw one of Steve's. So thought why not.

Allan Ferguson
05-19-2012, 7:06 PM
I really like the first one. That wood really is set off by the knots.

Eric Holmquist
05-19-2012, 8:33 PM
I really love the first one, I am getting tempted to try and get some NIP and give it a spin.

Bernie Weishapl
05-19-2012, 11:26 PM
Thanks again. Yep just placed a order for 3 more blanks. I really like turning this stuff. I will be using the monster rig on these. The hand tools just beat my arthritis to death.

Eric Gourieux
05-20-2012, 12:24 AM
Another nice group of NIP. Im waiting on my blanks to splat a little more. I received 8 or 9 blanks, and a few were freshly cut. I like your finish on these.

Bill Wyko
05-20-2012, 12:31 AM
Bernie that is absolutely stunning. Very well done my friend. It reminds me of Cooks pine from Hawaii. The first thing I saw when I got off the plane there was a beautiful turning done with the Cooks Pine.

Michelle Rich
05-20-2012, 6:29 AM
sounds like these were fun..pretty wood.

Hayes Rutherford
05-20-2012, 8:05 AM
Bernie, nice job on these. Gets me thinking about Hawaii.

Bernie Weishapl
05-20-2012, 10:08 AM
Thanks again. Bill had a friend of mine from there show me a couple of pieces he turned. Looks like some nice stuff.

Steve Schlumpf
05-20-2012, 10:46 AM
Nice work Bernie! I like both of these forms and you did a good job on centering the knots!

1/8" thin on the second form - should be fairly translucent. Have you noticed any light coming through the walls of the form?

Bernie Weishapl
05-20-2012, 10:51 AM
Thanks Steve. Yes light does come thru it but not as bright as some I have seen.

Greg Just
05-20-2012, 5:57 PM
Bernie - love your work and you inspired me so I bought a piece of NIP and hope to turn it next weekend.

Bernie Weishapl
05-20-2012, 9:21 PM
Thanks Greg. I hope you love turning it as much as I do.

Thomas Canfield
05-20-2012, 10:26 PM
Norfolk Island Pine is turned a lot in Hawaii, and usually to a translucent state. It is turned fairly thin green, but also the finish is a soak in a oil/varnish/thinner mix that changes the cell structure of the wood. The final finish that I see there is not a real high sheen, but the warm oil glow. Kelly Dunn has an excellent website showing his signature pieces. NIP is exceptional and I am starting to see it available here on mainland. I bought a couple of pieces of dead NIP at SWAT a couple of years ago that came from the Texas valley area that finished with a warm oil finish but had no chance of going translucent.

Kathy Marshall
05-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Nice job Bernie! Both pieces look great and nice wood too!

Baxter Smith
05-21-2012, 8:50 AM
Nice work Bernie. If I ever make it to Hawaii it will be on my souvenir list! I suppose just ordering some would be cheaper though.:)

Bernie Weishapl
05-21-2012, 9:51 AM
Thanks again.

Thomas this is soaked in Antique Oil. For some reason it just keep it from warping much if any and rarely if ever cracks.

Baxter I told my wife the same thing. She just rolled her eyes and said it is cheaper to just order it.:D