PDA

View Full Version : M2 hacksaw blade

Brian Deakin
05-19-2012, 11:52 AM
I have acquired an Eclipse All Hard high speed steel (M2) blade measuring 22inches by 2 inches and 0.100 inches thick( 550mm by 50mm and 2.5cm thick)

ECL.AE622C
550x50x2.50
22x2x0.100

Can anyone suggest a use for this blade and would it be suitable to make a a plane blade and how would I accomplish such a task

regards Brian

Ronald Blue
05-19-2012, 1:04 PM
Blades of that type are designed for use in power hacksaws and are for metal cutting. It's tooth pitch and design would be inefficient for wood cutting. When I used to be in the metal working trade we used a power hacksaw for most of our tool steel cutting for die parts and jig construction. A few guys would take our worn out blades and use them to make knives. I am not saying they were the best steel choice but they worked nicely just the same. I don't see a woodworking function unless you make scrapers or something like that from it.
http://www.newmantools.com/eclipse/eclhack.htm

Brian Deakin
05-20-2012, 4:24 AM
Ronald
Thank you for your for posting a reply and your suggestion of using the blade to make a scraper. The only other use I can think of is using the blade to make a garden tool

Further I live in the United Kingdom and paid £3.00 ($.4.80)for the blade I believe they retail at about $100

regards Brian