PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Maple/walnut lidded box

Roger Chandler
05-18-2012, 7:30 PM
Another piece for the demo........have I told anyone that I am having fun? :D [like you couldn't guess!]

First of all I want to thank fellow Creeker, Mike Cruz for this piece of spalted maple. My problem is that I did not have enough to make a lid with it.........that would have been a killer piece! So I improvised and had to use some walnut. The box is fresh off the lathe in the last 10 minutes........I still want to add some more coats of WTF, and sanding in between some of the additional coats........it should only get better! ;)

Size is 4-1/4 wide and 5-3/8 tall..........comments always welcome!!! Guess there is nothing like the pressure of an upcoming demo to get one motivated! :D

Hayes Rutherford
05-18-2012, 8:21 PM
Nice box Roger. In the second photo the lid looks darker and I like that look the best.

Roger Chandler
05-18-2012, 8:23 PM
Nice box Roger. In the second photo the lid looks darker and I like that look the best.

Hayes.........the flash on the camera plays tricks with me.........the first pic had the flash go off too much and then it did not go off on the second one..........go figure! In person the lid looks a bit lighter than the second, but darker than the first.

Steve Schlumpf
05-18-2012, 9:20 PM
That spalted maple sure is some pretty stuff! Nice work on the box! I do like the contrast in colors!

John Keeton
05-18-2012, 9:39 PM
Another nice one, Roger. I probably would prefer a bit less overhang with the lid - or, a larger bead on the base. IMO, the embellishments look better when they diminish in size upward.

Roger Chandler
05-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Given the choices I had as to wood for the lid............I thought the walnut would look better than cherry.........I even made another lid from plain maple..........did not do anything for the form and it cracked on me big time and lost the center because of it...........I toyed with the idea of ebonizing the lid, to match the spalt lines, but in the end, felt like it would overpower the form with all that black.

Given the right piece of maple that had some similar spalting.........this form could have been a real looker........but that was not in the cards on this one.........maybe next time...........anyway, perhaps the audience at the demo will like it enough that they will pay attention to the demo! :D:rolleyes: In my opinion, it shows better in person than in the pics.

Bernie Weishapl
05-18-2012, 11:53 PM
Really nice box Roger. I do like the wood combo.

Roger Chandler
05-19-2012, 7:47 AM
Thanks Bernie .......much appreciated...........the combo is okay, but not spectacular! ;)