PDA

View Full Version : Found a great source for threaded Knobs for jigs, etc.

Kent A Bathurst
05-18-2012, 10:59 AM
Looking back, this ranks as a "duh", but I never thought of them until this morning - McMaster-Carr. Big selection of styles, sizes, etc. Prices maybe half of what I had paid from a commonly-used WW store for my tee-track jigs.

The cheesy-standard-grade plastic Delta lock lever on my tenon jig failed [as those plastic spring-loaded 2-part lock levers always do, on every machine or tool that has them....DP quill lock comes to mind] Part costs about $12 + shipping from the usual replacement parts sources. And, that part is obsolete and has been replaced by a .....wait for it........threaded knob. Well golly-gee-willikers - wonder why they did that? ;)

Metric, of course. Yesterday got an Ace Hdwre wing nut to replace it. Should be OK, but wanted something easier on the fingers to tighten and loosen, so went rummaging around McMaster-Carr. Found the threaded knobs selection. Bingo....a threaded through-knob will be a perfect replacement, and has a wide enough base that I won't need the washer. And was less than half the $12 price.

PSA: Anyone with this tenoning jig - which also masquerades as all the other brands in that corporate family - the stud is M8 x 1.25 pitch.

Bill Geibe
05-18-2012, 3:58 PM
Kent,

That's a good tip. I needed a couple metric knobs, both 6 and 8mm IIRC, for my mortiser to replace regular adjustment bolts (got tired of always having to reach for a wrench to adjust the thing). I found a decent selection at a Sears Hardware Store - both internal and external threads. They weren't exactly cheap, though, I think about $4-$5.

Bill

Van Huskey
05-18-2012, 4:15 PM
McMaster is GREAT for that stuff. They have knobs from inexpensive plastic (often in multiple colors) to very nice brass and stainless ones. They are a boon when rehabbing old machines if one isn't a purist.

Kent A Bathurst
05-18-2012, 6:27 PM
Van.........is that the next clue? :D :D

HANK METZ
05-18-2012, 6:45 PM
McMaster is GREAT for that stuff. They have knobs from inexpensive plastic (often in multiple colors) to very nice brass and stainless ones. They are a boon when rehabbing old machines if one isn't a purist.

And if one is a purist, it’s probably a knob made by Dimco- Gray they’d be looking for. Dimco has been around since 1924 and has been a supplier to most of the major manufacturers prior to offshoring of manufactured goods.

http://dimcogray.com/

I believe Reid Supply also sells Dimco products as well as other refurbishment items.
http://www.reidsupply.com/products/knobs-handles-hand-wheels/

- Beachside Hank

Do not use remaining fingers as push sticks.

fRED mCnEILL
05-18-2012, 9:36 PM
Lee Valley also has those knob-around $3