PDA

View Full Version : 333VS Dust Collector

Jerry Solomon
04-29-2003, 1:18 PM
I have a PC 333VS ROS. Since day one, I have had trouble keeping the dust collector housing from falling off as the sander is operating. Is there a PC fix for this? If not, has anyone had luck coming up with a user fix?

Dennis Peacock
04-29-2003, 1:24 PM
Yup.....thicker O-Rings will work....BUT....I fixed mine with 4 wraps of masking tape.....has worked for 3 years now....

Dave Arbuckle
04-29-2003, 1:33 PM
Fixed mine with a small sheet-metal screw off a '63 Buick, through the expanded plastic into the housing. I suspect sheet-metal screws from most other makes would work OK also...

Dave

Steve Clardy
04-29-2003, 1:59 PM
I had two of those. About the only product besides the detail sander that I have been disappointed in PC tools.
I went through the porter cable upgrade fixes, silicone, hose clamps, screws, masking tape, etc. Finally switched to Makita sanders.
Cured the problem. Makita has a much better system.
Steve

Von Bickley
04-29-2003, 2:03 PM
Jerry,

The O-ring on mine recently bit the bullet. I perform a "Fix" on mine like Dennis did, 4 or 5 wraps of masking tape. I might look for an O-ring later, but knowing me, I'll probably just let the masking tape keep on working.

Jerry Solomon
04-29-2003, 5:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I've tried a variation of the masking tape "fix" with little success. Maybe the screw idea will work better.

Jim DeLaney
04-29-2003, 7:14 PM
You don't say how old your 333 is, but Mine is one of the (pre-pad brake) originals, and had the same problem with the canister coming off.

I called PC a couple years ago, and they told me they's had an engineering change wo a new, two ring design.

They provided me the new canister and housing free of charge, and I've been a happy camper ever since...

David Rose
04-29-2003, 7:53 PM
before it failed. Took the connector off the end of the stiff factory hose (not supplied) and put it on a soft house vaccum hose and connected it all to the shop vac. Amazing how little dust survives.

Of course I lost my solids for glue filler. :-(

David

Bruce Page
04-29-2003, 8:33 PM
Jerry,
I just hook mine up to the vac - problem solved, virtually dust free sanding, and no more banging that stupid little canister into the trash can! :cool:

As a matter of principle, I never attend the first annual anything -- George Carlin

Steve Clardy
04-29-2003, 8:46 PM
How do you like the Fein? collector? What model is it? I am in need of one. Have a in- house bendable cherry handrail to install. These have to be sanded in place. [Yes, they are already moved in]. Need a 20" hose with it.
Steve

Bruce Page
04-29-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Steve Clardy
How do you like the Fein? collector? What model is it? I am in need of one. Have a in- house bendable cherry handrail to install. These have to be sanded in place. [Yes, they are already moved in]. Need a 20" hose with it.
Steve
Steve,
I like my Fein just fine. :D
It’s the Turbo III, model number 9.77.25. I bought it to replace a “Craftsman Tool Vac”; the hose that’s in the pic was the only good thing about that unadulterated POS.

The Fein comes with a standard 2½“ X 10’ hose, has an auto start outlet for your sander, is very quiet (65.5 dB) and runs for hours without getting hot.
This months Fine Wood Working has a pretty good review of 13 shop vacuums ranging from the $119 Ridgid & Shop-Vac to $695 (gasp!) Alto Wap SQ. It’s worth the read.

Hanging is too good for a man who makes puns; he should be drawn and quoted. -- Fred Allen

Dave Arbuckle
04-29-2003, 10:59 PM
I use that one's smaller brother, the Fein Turbo II. Lower capacity and small hose only I believe are the differences.

It sure makes a difference, sanding with vacuum instead of the little canister. Even more difference on the DeWalt sander, which has a cloth bag with no discernable dust catching ability.

Dave

David Rose
04-29-2003, 11:54 PM
I built a downdraft table for my inadequate DC. It was better than nothing, but the Fein hooked to the 333 is much better. I usually wear hearing protection when doing any power tool work. You really don't need it with the Fein. Terry H. says his Rigid will beat mine in a pickup race, but I'm very happy. I use the HEPA filter and bag and nothing "seems" to get out. I usually empty the expensive bag (outside) rather than dispose of it. So far the filter shows nothing in it. That is after maybe 10 bags/dumpings.

My only gripe was when I got excited about the router duplicator in Router Magic that floated on output from a SV. The output is carefully distributed around the top, so there is no pressure hose connection.

One of the vacs that did well in FWW review did have an output line I think. They didn't bother to make much of a statement about where they placed the Fein in their preference. I think they liked a couple or three of the others better.

David