PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite Beaded Bowl

Kathy Marshall
05-18-2012, 12:55 AM
I wanted to play with my D-Way beading tools tonight, so I turned this mesquite bowl and beaded the rim and foot. I really like how it turned out.
The more I use the D-Way beading tools, the more I love them! I'm really liking the little teardrop tool too, works great for cleaning up details.
The bowl is 9" x 3" with just a coat of DO so far.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

mike ash
05-18-2012, 12:59 AM
Some nice work there Kathy!!! I agree with you on the DWay beading tool. The more you use it, the more you are going to like it.

Rick Markham
05-18-2012, 3:32 AM
That's a gorgeous bowl Kathy! I really like the work you have been doing, this one is no exception. It looks like you have the beading tools pretty much figured out. I really like the undercut rim on the outside, and the bead for a foot. I really need to get around to ordering the D way tools. The teardrop looks like the best of the bunch.

charlie knighton
05-18-2012, 4:15 AM
very nice, beading is a nice touch

John Keeton
05-18-2012, 6:11 AM
Very good use of the beads!!! Nice touch, Kathy.

Michelle Rich
05-18-2012, 6:41 AM
great wood! great details

Dennis Ford
05-18-2012, 7:15 AM
The nice clean details just add to a bowl that already had a very nice form. Good job!

Steve Schlumpf
05-18-2012, 7:50 AM
Very nice - clean - work! Sure is some pretty wood!

I like the bead at the foot and rim but am not a big fan of beads on the rim. When I first started turning bowls, I turned one with small Vs in the rim and thought it was a wonderful thing! My wife, Colleen, however let me know that the Vs (or beads) on the rim would be extremely hard to clean... so I haven't been a big fan of Vs or beads on that location ever since.

Looking forward to what you create next!!

Prashun Patel
05-18-2012, 8:44 AM
Beautiful. I like this design a lot. I also really like yr decision to put a little 'cream' in your coffee. Well played!

Kathy, i was just on the d-way site. Couple q's about yr beading tools:

1) Do you sharpen them like a scraper? Or is there some kind of rolling?
2) What does the teardrop look like? Do you have any close ups of that?

Roger Chandler
05-18-2012, 8:46 AM
Great shape on the bowl and I think you have done well........I think the rim is a bit on the busy side, but it looks great. Steve's better half Colleen may have a valid point on the cleaning issue. That sure is a purdy bowl Kathy!

Russell Eaton
05-18-2012, 9:07 AM
Nice job Kathy. Looks like to have the hang of the new tools.

Sid Matheny
05-18-2012, 9:07 AM
Very nice top to bottom!

Sid

Bernie Weishapl
05-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Kathy that is one pretty both. If for decorative use it is great but agree that the beads on the top of the rim are hard to clean for a utility bowl.

steven carter
05-18-2012, 10:37 AM
Really nice lookig bowl! I love the beading on the rim and the one at the foot. Might have to look into getting those tools.

Harry Robinette
05-19-2012, 12:01 AM
Kathy
VERY Beautiful bowl I think you should keep the finish like it is,the soft look and the shape and wood go great together.

Kathy Marshall
05-19-2012, 2:54 AM
Thanks everyone!
Steve, point taken on cleaning the beaded area, I guess this one will be more of a decorative or dry use bowl.

Beautiful. I like this design a lot. I also really like yr decision to put a little 'cream' in your coffee. Well played!

Kathy, i was just on the d-way site. Couple q's about yr beading tools:

1) Do you sharpen them like a scraper? Or is there some kind of rolling?
2) What does the teardrop look like? Do you have any close ups of that?
Prashun, here are some pics of the teardrop, a little blurry but they still show the shape. If you go to the D-Way site, they have some videos showing how to use the tools. As far as sharpening, so far I've just touched up the flat with a diamond hone.