PDA

View Full Version : trading one set of problems for another

Mike Cain
05-17-2012, 11:09 PM
I just purchased the Vega Pro 40 to replace the stock fence on my Delta contractors saw.
After installing, I set it up just like I always have with the "Align-It" gauge.
The face of the fence is very flat.
For some reason I had the idea I should check the fence alignment with the miter slot
at random spots across the table.That ruined my day. I can align the fence bar parallel
with the miter slot at any given spot, but when the fence is moved off that spot it is no longer parallel
to the slot. Over an 18 inch span (this requires referencing both miter slots) I'm getting anywhere from
+.008 to -.018. Thats a swing of .026 overall. Any ideas as to what is going on here?

Lee Schierer
05-18-2012, 7:42 AM
It sounds like the guide rail for the fence is curved. If you have a long straight edge I would check it and adjust it according to what you find. If there is no adjustment, I would contact the manufacturer since this is a new fence and talk to them about a replacement front rail.

Matt Day
05-18-2012, 8:00 AM
You said you are taking measurements from both miter slots over the 18" span - did you confirm the miter slots are dead parallel at the spots your measuring from?

How about the attachment points of the rail - can you confirm they are bolted to a flat surface that isn't pulling the rail and bending it?

But .026" (less than 1/32") doesn't sound too bad in any case.

Mike Cain
05-18-2012, 8:41 AM
Maybe my expectations are too high, but following the instructions for the Align-It, I set the back of the fence bar to be open about .002 to prevent binding with the blade. But why even bother with the .002 if it's only accurate in one specific fence position? Yes, I did check to see that the miter slots are parallel, again using the Align-It, and they are within .002.
Thanks for the replies.

Mike

Phil Thien
05-18-2012, 8:50 AM
It sounds like the guide rail for the fence is curved. If you have a long straight edge I would check it and adjust it according to what you find. If there is no adjustment, I would contact the manufacturer since this is a new fence and talk to them about a replacement front rail.

This is where I'd start, too.

Check the bar, and maybe you should shim the bar in/out in the middle, or the ends, by using a fiber washer between the bar and the table saw's table?

glenn bradley
05-18-2012, 12:27 PM
+1 on guide rail deviation.

Mike Cain
05-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Once I get this resolved, what should I consider to be normal deflection at the rear of the fence just from pressing on it with my thumb? Thanks for all of the advice!

Mike