PDA

View Full Version : abutments and cross pins?...

Matthew N. Masail
05-17-2012, 6:05 PM
I don't mean to start a whole unnecessary thing about this probably subjective matter, but I need some help with a few thoughts and questions, trying to understand planes. I'd also like to hear if you havea preference and why.

please redirect me if I'm wrong. I plan to experiment but I ask before hand because I'm sure there is a lot I can learn from you.

1. since my first attempt had a thin blade lacking support, I have made it a point to figure out how to support the blade really well.
my thought with a wedge is that since you can only place it so low, you can also relieve the area just under the pin a little bit,causing a spring effect to get better tension close to the edge. would this effect the wedges action negatively?

2. abutments offer more surface area of actual tension, and can provide more direct support close to the edge. makes sense... how low can the wedge go with this method before interfering with the shavings?

3. abutments look better :) and are muchhh cooler.

About Derek Cohen's way (which I like a lot); I keep thinking that having the front block at 60 degrees will cause the mouth to widen much more than the traditional 110-115 degrees, while lapping and tuning over time. how can I make a 80 degree bottom, maybe 1/4 inch tall and still take advantage of lapping the abutments to a precise angle... I knowthe brass wear plate took care of that, but is there a way to create a flat without an insert?

General cross pin question: how high ? it was easy to locate it on a small plane but I'm not sure about bigger ones. I was thinking slightly less that 1inch high?

Thanks guys, this must be one of the more enjoyable things I have ever done.