PDA

View Full Version : Two Whatzits

Michael Ray Smith
05-17-2012, 3:50 PM
I bought a few brace bits from eBay, and these two critters were included with the lot. Anyone have ideas what they are?

The one marked Goodell-Pratt No. 199 looks like some sort of screwdriver with a very specific purpose, but what? (I searched a bit online and found some references that indicate Millers Falls continued to sell them after the merger, but didn't see any explanation of the intended use. Besides, it's more fun to ask and see what people come up with.)

The other one might be some sort of countersink?

I forgot to put a scale in the pictures. They're both about 5 1/4" long.

Richard Line
05-17-2012, 4:19 PM
The No. 199 is a screw driver, one to be used when there is tight clearance over the top of the screw. The blades are clocked at different angles to aid in turning the screw. I have a newer version that incorporates a ratchet mechanism to speed up turning the screw.
They often have different size blades on each end to handle various size screws.

Your guess at a counter sink for the second one seems good to me, but it may have some other use. Let's see what the others think.

Tony Shea
05-17-2012, 5:14 PM
I agree with Richard. The top item is def a 90* screwdriver. I am an electrician for my day job and use one similar on a regular basis. The newer ratcheting versions are really great, just picked one up last week and what a difference in ease of use. The original like you posted can really be a bear to use, especially the slotted version. They certainly aren't fast.

And I also agree that the other item is a countersink. Im not 100% on this one but this is my best guess.

Joshua Byrd
05-17-2012, 5:18 PM
The first one is what everyone has said. The second item is an old pipe reamer.

Jim Koepke
05-17-2012, 8:14 PM
The angled screw driver is a bear to use. In really tight situations you will end up using each face in order.
I have ratcheting drivers with built in blades and then there are the Chapman sets that have changeable blades. The Chapman is not able to get into as tight of a place as the others, but there are hex keys inch and metric, and many other kinds of drivers including a 1/4 square for sockets.

Joshua has likely given the best answer on the other item. It looks too steep for a counter sink and doesn't have the right kind of cutting faces.

jtk

Michael Ray Smith
05-18-2012, 9:53 AM
Thanks, all. After I posted my question, I realized that the 4 blades on the screwdriver are clocked in 45 degree increments, which makes sense for the intended use that everyone has described. Joshua's answer makes sense on the second gizmo -- a pipe reamer. I agree it doesn't really look like it would work as a counter sink, although I haven't tried it.

These will either go back on eBay or into my box of interesting little tools that I occasionally pull out to see if people can figure out what they are.

george wilson
05-18-2012, 11:33 AM
I have to use a screwdriver like that on the left front corner of my 18" Delta drum sander to adjust the infeed roll. There is no other room to get at it.

Jim Koepke
05-18-2012, 12:14 PM
The screwdriver is a keeper if you work on machinery, automobiles or other things. They come in handy at times.

jtk