PDA

View Full Version : Big trophy!

Annette Plamondon
05-17-2012, 8:40 AM
My boss asked me to research websites because we have to come up with a creative idea for a trophie that is about 3 feet tall for a car show award and is really heavy duty. So I need something that is not plastic. Normally we order from JDS Industries but I am not sure we are going to find something with them. Are their other companies out there that I can browse their website so get ideas? I think they have a $500 plus budget, so we are talking REAL NICE! :D THANKS EVERYONE!

Martin Boekers
05-17-2012, 9:31 AM
Think out of the box, I have been to Art Shows that have had "car art" made from car parts. One cool one was a bar table
that had a wheel with a drive shaft welded to it and on top a 60's chevy steering wheel,this supported the glass table top.
You may want to take a "field trip" to a salvage yard and come up with ideas. :)

Doug Griffith
05-17-2012, 1:36 PM
I'm not sure $500 is really that much money for a custom 3 foot tall trophy.

I'd design something and get it water jet cut out of aluminum or stainless. Then attach acrylic components using stand-offs. The acrylic work can be done in-house.

Ross Moshinsky
05-17-2012, 11:13 PM
It depends on what they want. If they just want it to be "nice" but traditional, you just buy better parts. Hardwood base and lid. High quality wood or metal tubes. A nice ceramic or metal cup. It's not that hard to jump from $100 to $500 when you start using much nicer components.

If they want something non-traditional, $500 really doesn't go that far. Design and figuring takes time and that costs money. If you're looking for a project, that's one thing. Going out and essentially creating a piece of art for $500 is a completely different thing.

Marco, JDS, PDU, Freeman, and CMA should have everything you need to go the traditional route.

Rodne Gold
05-18-2012, 1:11 AM
You have a laser , so make em something customised , you more than welcome to have a look at my custom awards for ideas.
(new website being launched on 1 June , so this is a little dated but will work)
http://www.tokerbros.co.za/custom_acry_large.htm
nothing 3 ft high tho , but size does not always = percieved quality.

All my big shiny stuff , cup wise , comes from china , $500 gets you a LOT
The first trophy in the 2 pics is huge and it sells at about $500 (at least 36") , the next one down is slightly smaller but a LOT cheaper - selling round $260
We wholesale these at less than 1/2 retail , you should be able to find a supplier in the US. Quality is really excellent (all metal , well plated , good quality bases etc)

Dee Gallo
05-18-2012, 8:51 AM
I'm so glad Rodney chimed in here - he has been showing us innovative and gorgeous awards for a long time - I was going to recommend him for advice but did not want to speak for him.

Look and learn! He's a real pro!

Rodne Gold
05-18-2012, 11:33 AM
You could just make something this size :)