PDA

View Full Version : First with Monster

Rex Guinn
05-17-2012, 8:09 AM
This is the first, well first full one not just practice with the new Monster. It's Maple (Ambrosia with some burl) 8" dia 10.5" tall.

232303Should I make a final? Should I change the bottom? I'm not sure I like the bottom the way it is. Thanks for the input.

Roger Chandler
05-17-2012, 8:34 AM
Pretty wood, and a lot of curl in that maple. I would "tuck" the foot under a bit to give it a more pleasing curve to the bottom, and as far as a finial.........the opening has a upturned lip.........that makes it a little harder to get a finial to blend in with the form.........you might want to leave as is, or take the lip off before a finial...........congrats on the Monster rig....they do a good job!

Prashun Patel
05-17-2012, 8:54 AM
Nice work! Congrats! Yr obviously not new to HF's. Pretty small opening for the first!
Personally, I agree with you on the base. I would not tuck this one; I'd carry the line of the curve straight into the table. Also, for my taste, I would have made the sweep up from the base a little straighter, making the area below the shoulder a little less 'bulbous'.

John Keeton
05-17-2012, 9:39 AM
Nice work, Rex!!! Beautiful piece of wood, too. Personally, I think it would be difficult to blend a finial into the mouth of this one. Hard to say on the bottom without a straight on shot, but it looks good from this angle. I think the long neck on the opening helps with the way you have done the base.

Bernie Weishapl
05-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Rex that is a beauty. I agree the neck compliments the bottom and looks good to me.

Jamie Donaldson
05-17-2012, 10:54 AM
Excellent job Rex, and don't change a thing! This form stands well on it's own, without any additions or subtractions.;)

Jim Burr
05-17-2012, 2:02 PM
From what you show Rex...I like it! A profile shot would be great to! I know this can't be your first. How did you like using the Monster?

Steve Schlumpf
05-17-2012, 3:34 PM
Rex - that is a beauty! Love the wood! With the lip being somewhat prominent, I would not even worry about a finial. On the foot area... it does appear to flair out a bit and - if it were me - I would continue the curve of the main form on through the foot. Then recess the tenon area and just soften the outside edge of the foot.

Very nice work! Next time, if possible - please include a few extra photos as it would sure help with any advice.

Rex Guinn
05-17-2012, 7:22 PM
From what you show Rex...I like it! A profile shot would be great to! I know this can't be your first. How did you like using the Monster?
Jim I really do like it. Look forward to having more time to use it.

Tony Pridmore
05-17-2012, 8:59 PM
Rex,

That's a really fine piece of work and beautiful chunk of maple. The opening is good as-is. My vote is no finial. As for the bottom, I would recommend continuing the curve and not have it flare out.

Curt Fuller
05-17-2012, 9:13 PM
Wow that's really pretty! Like many of the others have said, I think this one is meant to be without a finial. As for the base, I would leave it just as it is. If you don't like it, try something tucked under or however you might like it better on the next one. Then compare the two and decide which style YOU like best. But I've personally never had good luck changing the shape after it's that far along. It just seems like the form and foot always work out better when they're done in one continuous turning.

Baxter Smith
05-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Rex, very pretty wood and the form looks good. Profile shots are very helpful in making suggestions on form.

Rick Markham
05-18-2012, 4:03 AM
Nice first Rex! I like the upturned lip, and agree no finial. What Steve said on the foot! :D

Michelle Rich
05-18-2012, 6:47 AM
I call this shape: the hot air balloon shape. If you want to improve this, continue the curve and get rid of the , what looks like a foot. Put your finger over that area in the picture and I think you will understand. it will totally change the looks & proportions. Gorgeous wood and a great first!