PDA

View Full Version : 10-20 Sander Report

Ken Salisbury
04-01-2005, 11:34 AM
I posted a "gloat" on my latest tool aquisition earlier http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18581

I was able to give it a first look/test yesterday.

First of all the fit and finish was outstanding. The adjustments were easily done/verified using the instructions in the manual. As it turned out the machine was well 'factory adjusted" except for a slight misalignment of the drum height on the outboard side. I made that minor correction and ran some test pieces.

I ran various wood type scrap pieces with thicknesses varying from 3" thick to 1/8" thick. I was pleasently surprised at the results.

The unit had 150 grit paper installed on it and I decided I wanted to use 120grit for my standard applications. Besides I wanted to test the ease of paper installation. Here is where I ran into my first (and only) problem.

The machine came with a "Tuff Tool" designated for installing the paper at the end of the inboard drum side which sets the tensioning. The instructions in the manual for the use of this tool was confusing to me (That in itself is not suprising since at my age more and more things are confusing :) )

After several tries I was successful in learning how the tool was to be used.

I resawed a piece of cherry 4" wide x 3/16" thick, ran that thru, sanding to 1/8" thick - came out perfect.

I am gonna pick-up the HF hydraulic table mentioned by Keith Outten to use with it - hopefully next week.

I am very pleased with the unit after playing around with it for a couple of hours. I view it as a real value add to my equipment base.

Tyler Howell
04-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Thanks Ken,

Good to know. Enjoy that new toyl!:cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
04-01-2005, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the report Ken! Congrats on the new tool! The first major purchase after finishing my new shop will be a bandsaw. The second will be that which you just bought!

Jeff Sudmeier
04-01-2005, 12:54 PM
Ken, Thank you for the report, it is good to hear! One thing that would be interesting to find out it how it does on something wider than 10 inches, say something 15 inches wide. Be sure to let us know how that works out, if you run into that situation.

Thanks again!

Mike Cutler
04-02-2005, 12:38 AM
Ken. I have the Performax 16-32, and also like it quite a bit. You're definitely ahead of me though. I gave up on that Tuff Tool thing, luckily I got skinny long guitar player fingers.
I was thinking about that Hydraulic lift that Keith mentioned, but to tell the truth I find I use this sander a lot more than I thought I would. Let us know how it works out for you. I can always use a bit more space in the shop.
It's great to hear that the sander is working out for you. :)

Dan Forman
04-02-2005, 4:18 AM
Good to hear you like your new sander. There may be one in my future too.

Dan