PDA

View Full Version : An observation/question about Wood Turners Finish [WTF]

Roger Chandler
05-16-2012, 8:14 PM
I am probably not the only one that has noticed this..........I bring it up because not all the turners in my clubs, or here on this forum use it yet.........but for the ones that have.........

I have noticed that given 24 hours after the finish is done on the turning...........there must be a curing that develops and the time elapsed from last coat to the next day shows what I would consider an upgrade from a short period of time after the last coat.

I looked at that cherry dome lidded box, and the finish is nicer today than when I did it yesterday and took pics....and the ash box today.........this evening it looks much better than when I took pics this morning........must be something about the cure that levels and hardens to a smoother finish.......they also look a bit glossier than at first..........

Anyone else using WTF notice this?

Tom Hamilton
05-16-2012, 8:21 PM
Roger, an interesting observation and one I thought I was also noticing, but really had not latched on to the idea. In short, the finish is dry in 30 minutes or so and can be recoated...but the next day it really POPS. Dry vs cured I suppose. In any event thanks for your post. By the way, I really like General's WTF.

All the best, Tom

Roger Chandler
05-16-2012, 8:30 PM
Roger, an interesting observation and one I thought I was also noticing, but really had not latched on to the idea. In short, the finish is dry in 30 minutes or so and can be recoated...but the next day it really POPS. Dry vs cured I suppose. In any event thanks for your post. By the way, I really like General's WTF.

All the best, Tom

I like it also, Tom...........and I am glad at least one person understood what I was saying! Must be the hardeners in the product or something..........it just seems to smooth out and have a nicer finish than an hour after you are done with the piece..........at least that is what I am seeing.

Thanks for speaking up!

Thomas Bennett
05-16-2012, 10:40 PM
Wew, glad to hear how much everyone likes the WTF. I just bought two pints today at Woodcraft. I'm excited to try it. Thanks to everyone for reporting on this!

Bernie Weishapl
05-17-2012, 12:48 AM
Roger I noticed the same thing but hadn't given it much thought. All the pieces I finished with WTF always looked better or brighter a few days later. I never mentioned it because I thought it was my eye's playing tricks on me.

Rick Markham
05-17-2012, 3:40 AM
I'm watching this piece I'm working on right now. This is piece number 3 and I have to say, I like shooting it out of my airbrush much better than trying to get it on evenly by hand. I had noticed what you mentioned Roger, but I just thought I was imagining it LOL

Roger Chandler
05-17-2012, 6:31 AM
I guess we all can't be crazy! There is something to this "change" that takes place.........it seems you get a pretty nice finish when you're done...........especially after 6 or 8 coats.........then you look at it a couple days later, and you say "man, that looks absolutely terrific" ......like all on its own the finish just upgraded!

Jamie Donaldson
05-17-2012, 11:02 AM
I suspect the fact that it is H2O based has relevance to this observation. I have noticed that as it dries the "color" lightens, especially after the first coat that wets the wood the most.

jared herbert
05-17-2012, 12:04 PM
I have noticed the exact opposite effect with some of the oil based finishes I have used, they sometimes dont look quite so good a few days later. This is after the piece has been buffed and waxed so maybe it is just the wax getting a little more dull after it has exposed to the air or something. Just an observation. Jared

Roger Chandler
05-17-2012, 8:06 PM
I have noticed the exact opposite effect with some of the oil based finishes I have used, they sometimes dont look quite so good a few days later. This is after the piece has been buffed and waxed so maybe it is just the wax getting a little more dull after it has exposed to the air or something. Just an observation. Jared

Jared.........I wonder if wax oxidizes? If it does that could explain the dull look a few days later.......:confused:

Jack Gaskins
05-17-2012, 8:18 PM
I'm watching this piece I'm working on right now. This is piece number 3 and I have to say, I like shooting it out of my airbrush much better than trying to get it on evenly by hand. I had noticed what you mentioned Roger, but I just thought I was imagining it LOL

Hey Rick, what kind of airbrush do you spray your wtf through?

Jack

Steve Vaughan
05-17-2012, 8:45 PM
OK, OK, OK. If all of you don't work for the General, you should! I'm going to make a run across town tomorrow and buy me some...all because of you! Dang vortex!

Ryan Baker
05-17-2012, 9:27 PM
Yeah, me too. All of this praise for wtf lately ... I may just have to run to Woodcraft this weekend and pick some up (along with a few other things).

General had better start ramping up production.

Roger Chandler
05-17-2012, 9:44 PM
OK, OK, OK. If all of you don't work for the General, you should! I'm going to make a run across town tomorrow and buy me some...all because of you! Dang vortex!

Sorry Steve.......:( ........you know you love it!:D

Rick Markham
05-18-2012, 2:57 AM
Hey Rick, what kind of airbrush do you spray your wtf through?

Jack

Jack, I use an Iwata Eclipse siphon feed with a .5mm cone and needle. I tried my Iwata Eclipse gravity feed with a .35mm needle, but wasn't having much luck. ( I think I've got a bent needle tip)

For anyone with a hobby lobby around, if you take a 40% off coupon you can get an Iwata eclipse airbrush for about $90. Not a bad deal considering you can't find them cheaper than about $160 online.

Steve Vaughan
05-18-2012, 4:12 PM
Well, after all these reviews, I picked up a quart of this stuff this afternoon. I did NOT buy the small size, no sir, I bought the big 'un and if they'd had a gallon of it sitting there, why I'd have probably bought that one! And Roger, yes, I love it! I love "having" to go out and buy the latest and the greatest cause ain't nobody getting anything over on me if I can help it! :D:D:D:D:D!

Now if I can only turn stuff like ya'll do! No excuses now unless, of course, I need just one more thing :)!

Jamie Donaldson
05-18-2012, 4:19 PM
Hey Steve, do you know the turners old saying that "I'm just 1 tool away from greatness?" Of course I'm still searching for that tool, checking out each new model as they come along, and that's part of the vortex game!

Steve Vaughan
05-18-2012, 6:31 PM
Jamie, never heard that, but I am certain that I say that all the time.

Jack Gaskins
05-18-2012, 6:50 PM
Jack, I use an Iwata Eclipse siphon feed with a .5mm cone and needle. I tried my Iwata Eclipse gravity feed with a .35mm needle, but wasn't having much luck. ( I think I've got a bent needle tip)

For anyone with a hobby lobby around, if you take a 40% off coupon you can get an Iwata eclipse airbrush for about $90. Not a bad deal considering you can't find them cheaper than about $160 online.

Thanks Rick, any special preparation or just straight from the can?

Rick Markham
05-18-2012, 10:28 PM
Thanks Rick, any special preparation or just straight from the can?

I'm shooting it straight from the can. It's a little tricky stuff, and can be deceptive as to how it is coating once the finish starts building up. I'm still finding the "magic" touch, and have botched more than a few coats by applying too much. Good thing it dries so quickly, and seems fairly forgiving to being repaired mid stream LOL. I'll get 5 perfect coats, then overspray the sixth. It's got a learning curve, hopefully I'll figure out the trick to getting a perfect coat everytime... I'll let ya know when I do ;)