PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Logo on two opposite sides of cup. Not lining up correctly.

Dave Lyda
05-16-2012, 1:38 PM
Hi Everyone,

I've got a Pinnacle M-series laser with a Laser Master 2 rotary attachment and these two machines are a bear to work with!

My issue is this: I am trying to laser logos on both sides of a thermos (which also happens to be tapered) exactly opposite one another. No matter what I try, they do not wind up opposite each other. I'm using CorelDraw and have been through the threads here pretty exhaustively. It doesn't seem like my question has been asked or answered. If it has, please refer me to the link? If it hasn't, any help at all is much appreciated!

I'm setting my page-size width as the diameter of the thermos. It's 2.69". If I do this, my logo is much smaller on the thermos than on the screen. If I set my page-size width to double (5.38") so that it can wrap around entire thermos and then position one logo and bottom of page and the other at the top of the page, they end up being 33%-ish near each other (Picture the cup being divided into thirds with two logos residing on their own respective third.) Whatever I do with the page size and logos on the screen doesn't seem to make any logical sense with what comes out on the laser. I'm pretty stumped.

Not sure if this is making sense but I'd love to chat with someone who has been down this road before!

Thanks in advance,
Dave and Jared Lyda (I'm Jared, Dave's son)

Jim Reinhard
05-16-2012, 2:10 PM
Try seting the page size to the diamiter at the center of the thermos .Then devide it up into 4 equal sections.Put 1 logo on the center of the top line and the second one on the center of the third line.

Joe Hillmann
05-16-2012, 2:22 PM
You should be setting your page size to 8.4466. then set a guide line at 0 one at 2.112 one at 4.223 and another 6.335. Center your logo on the 2.112 and 6.335 lines. If you use a chuck type rotary that will work if you use a roller type rotary then that will work if the large part of the thermos is the part that is on the drive rollers.

Gary Hair
05-16-2012, 2:43 PM
You need to set the page size to the circumference of the object - Pi*D (Pi times the diameter). After you do that then you want to put the images so that the distance between their centers is 1/2 the size of the page.

For example - D=2.69, Circumference = 8.466 (2.69*3.14). The center of the logos should be 4.233 apart - not between them, center to center.

An easier way to do this is to use the laser driver to set the page size. My GCC/Pinnacle ZX has a selection under "Paper", "Rotary Fixture" - I enter the diameter and it determines the page size for me. Then I go back to Corel and have it set the page size based on the printer. Let me know if you need more help with this.

Gary

Dee Gallo
05-16-2012, 2:54 PM
What Gary said, plus I usually place the image at the top of the page so I know it will start right where I place the cup, then put the other image at the halfway point. If you are unsure, put a box around each image, turn on the red dot, leave the door open and print as vector so you can see exactly where the thing will print. Putting a small piece of masking tape on the spot where you want the images will help you tell if they are lined up correctly. Make sure your cup is level and delete the boxes before doing the real print!

good luck, dee

Dave Lyda
05-18-2012, 1:24 PM
Thanks Jim, Joe, Gary, and Dee! The missing element for me was Pi. I was wrongly calculating my circumference to be double that of my diameter. Forgive me, I went to public school! :) I've got the coffee thermos' all finished up and they look great! Thanks again for your help and sorry for my late reply!

Jared