PDA

View Full Version : Ash lidded box - more demo practice

Roger Chandler
05-16-2012, 1:13 PM
This one is ash.........I like ash, because of the grain figure. I want to give a shout out to Mike Stafford.....I saw a similar form on his website........I do not know if it is his original design.........I think I may have seen some of Richard Raffan's boxes in this style also.........so credit for inspiration goes to both of them.....thank you gentlemen!

My intent......different styles, different woods to pass around at the demo in July..........C & C welcome! This one stands 4-1/16 inches high and is 2.75 wide.

steven carter
05-16-2012, 1:41 PM
Looks like to me, you can quit "practicing", you have this down pat. When I started boxes, I used a pdf tutorial by Mike Stafford that really helped me out. I don't make them very often, so I usually refer back to it.

Thom Sturgill
05-16-2012, 1:42 PM
I just watched Raffan's DVD last week and those are VERY Raffanesque. Good job and I'm sure the demo will go well. I have to start prepping for a demo on a multi-axis box for both my club and a neighboring one.

Roger Chandler
05-16-2012, 2:27 PM
Thanks Thom and Steven........much appreciated! Good luck on your multi axis demo Thom........Barbara Dill just did one for one of our clubs here..........I did not have all day to devote to it, so I missed it.........maybe next time!

Steve Schlumpf
05-16-2012, 2:45 PM
Looks pretty good to me Roger! Reminds me a little of one of those tents you would expect to see in Arabian Nights!

Roger Chandler
05-16-2012, 3:36 PM
Looks pretty good to me Roger! Reminds me a little of one of those tents you would expect to see in Arabian Nights!

Thanks Steve........I wish I could have gotten better pics.........I don't know if the batteries in my wife's camera are about shot, or what, but the flash did not work on most of the pics...........I had it on auto focus, and I am completely out of my league in photography.........

Pete Gray
05-16-2012, 4:10 PM
You're just having way too much fun with these little beauties Roger, great selection :)
Pete

John Keeton
05-16-2012, 4:28 PM
Best of the bunch, so far, Roger!!! Very clean.

Hayes Rutherford
05-16-2012, 7:18 PM
Nothing wrong with that box. Keep them coming!

James Roberts
05-16-2012, 7:23 PM
I love the simple elegance of this piece, your finish and grain match between lid and base are very well done. The little detail inside the lid adds a nice surprise to someone peeking inside. Good job! I need to find a copy of Raffan's DVD and try my hand at one.

Roger Chandler
05-16-2012, 8:27 PM
Thanks James......these boxes have been fun for me.......and they are neat little useful gifts as well.....most of the ladies seem to like them, so go for it........you might be a hero! ;):)

Rick Markham
05-18-2012, 4:00 AM
These have all been nice boxes Roger, but I agree with John this is the best of the bunch! Super nice work on this, I like the detailing on the inside of the lid. How long does it take you to turn one of these?

Roger Chandler
05-18-2012, 8:37 AM
These have all been nice boxes Roger, but I agree with John this is the best of the bunch! Super nice work on this, I like the detailing on the inside of the lid. How long does it take you to turn one of these?

I turned this one in about 45 minutes..........add another 10 for finishing. I can do it quicker, once I get the steps down and quickly move from one step to another with more fluidity. That in part is the reason for doing several in advance of the demo.....to help me speed things up, and of course to have a few examples to pass around to the audience.

Bernie Weishapl
05-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Really nice looking box Roger. Nice clean lines and really nice finish.

Roger Chandler
05-18-2012, 10:56 AM
Really nice looking box Roger. Nice clean lines and really nice finish.

Thanks Bernie!!!

Rick Markham
05-19-2012, 3:10 AM
That's pretty quick! People would be really bored if they had to watch me make something. I guess I better go practice some more ;)

Steve Vaughan
05-19-2012, 6:30 AM
That's a neat design Roger. I like the shape. And the size makes for a great little gift for folks. Good luck with the demo!

David DeCristoforo
05-19-2012, 12:40 PM
I really like this box. I agree with JK... best one yet...

Roger Chandler
05-19-2012, 6:48 PM
Thanks David!

Eric Holmquist
05-19-2012, 6:53 PM
You sure seem to be having fun with these! Looks nice, good job on grain matching and form