PDA

View Full Version : Two of Cherry

Tim Chase
05-16-2012, 1:57 AM
This is my first post in the turnning forum Yes I know I've been learking for a while. Just kinda taking it all in so to speak. First off I'd like to thank all of you for the great information shared here as i've learned much over the years.
These are a couple of recent pieces both in Cherry aprox 6" D plate and 7" D hollow aprox 4" H finished with WOP all comments welcome.
Tim

John Keeton
05-16-2012, 5:17 AM
Tim, welcome!! Excellent work - you have been holding out on us!;) The profile on the plate is very nice - particularly for one that size. I would have thought it to be much larger, and that is a good thing as it speaks to the good proportions. Due to the angle of the pic, it is difficult to know the exact profile of the hollow form, but it appears that you did very well with the proportions of it, as well. Nice finish work - very clean!

I look forward to seeing some more of your work!

Roger Chandler
05-16-2012, 7:34 AM
Welcome to the creek, Tim! Nice plate, and hollow form. That cherry is just plain pretty, any way you slice it! How long have you been turning?

Alan Trout
05-16-2012, 9:03 AM
Tim,

Very nice pieces. I really like the squaty sphere hollow vessel. I find the shape very pleasing to the eye.

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
05-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Welcome Tim. Those are really nice pieces. I to like the hollow form. Very pleasing form.

Eric Gourieux
05-16-2012, 1:14 PM
Welcome to posting on the Creek. These are really nice. I like them both. I agree that the proportions are well done.

steven carter
05-16-2012, 1:43 PM
Very nice job on both. Now that you have started, we expect to see more!

Bob Bergstrom
05-16-2012, 2:12 PM
Good to see your post here at the Creek. There are a great bunch of turners here and we are glad your are sharing your work with us.

Steve Schlumpf
05-16-2012, 2:51 PM
Tim - Welcome to the Creek! Beautiful work - especially the plate! I really like the slight cove to the rim! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Jon Nuckles
05-16-2012, 7:34 PM
Both are nice, Tim. I find the hollow form particularly pleasing, and like the soft finish you got with the WOP.

charlie knighton
05-16-2012, 8:24 PM
very nice, Tim, welcome to the creek....like both forms and soft finish

Jeremy Leasure
05-16-2012, 8:49 PM
Liking both of these. Probably going to go for the sincerest form of flattery soon.

James Combs
05-16-2012, 8:53 PM
Cherry, always a favorite of mine and the turnings/shape/finish just add that much more to the cherry.

Mark Hix
05-16-2012, 9:49 PM
Nice Job! I really like the plate.

Baxter Smith
05-16-2012, 11:03 PM
Welcome Tim! Your work looks great and I hope to see more of it!

Curt Fuller
05-16-2012, 11:55 PM
Wow Tim, that's a beautiful pair of turnings to start off with. Keep 'em coming!

Kathy Marshall
05-17-2012, 12:07 AM
Very nice job on both Tim! Nice color and finish on that cherry too!

Tim Chase
05-17-2012, 12:34 AM
Thanks to all for the encouragement and posative remarks.
Roger I've been turnning for bit over 6 years and am totally self taught.
I've probably developed some very bad habits along the way though.
I can't say that I have any signature style much like John I tend to turn different
items not sticking to any one piece be it hollow forms or bowls and platters. I will
be doing a fair number of hollow forms as I recently pulled the trigger on a Carter Hollow Roller system.
Like many I would have really liked a Kobra but this will suffice for now and help me to decide if
hollow forms are gonna occupy a majority of my time at the lathe.
My long time preference has been larger bowls so time will tell.
Would love to get the chance for some one on one instruction with a top notch turnner/ teacher.
Bob and I have known one another for some time and I am hopefully gonna participate in the upcomming turn on Chicago.
Tim

George Morris
05-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Tim Great work on the plate! The hollow form has good form but a smaller opening would be more pleasing. They are great for just getting started! Well done.