PDA

View Full Version : What light bulbs can I use in this fixture? (Pic included)

Brian Elfert
05-15-2012, 11:54 PM
I have identical two ceiling fans with light fixtures attached. They use either BR20 or PAR20 light bulbs. I started out using Philips 60 watt Director lights bulbs from Home Depot. They use a lot of power and cost $2.50 each. I then started using GE 100 watt CFLs I can get for $1.50 or less. The problem is the CFLs last less than 6 months even without using the fan at all. I put four CFLs in a year ago and only one is still working. I bought some LED light bulbs at Home Depot on special, but it turns out they project light mostly to the side and the can blocks the light.

Can anyone suggest a type of energy saving light bulb that will work in the fixture pictured? I would prefer not to stick with regular light bulbs if I can help it.

Ron Natalie
05-16-2012, 9:15 AM
The cheaper/earlier LED replacements were admittedly horrid. You might wish to revisit what the borgs have now or try a specialty shop (I've had good experience with 1000bulbs.com). The latter does have LED PAR20 replacements that claim to be "narrow floods". I've got some new LED fixtures I put in the bathroom and they are far superior to the ones I tried before.

Brian Elfert
05-16-2012, 12:07 PM
I just got the LED bulbs yesterday from Home Depot, but the design is such they don't work with can type light fixtures like mine. Ideally I would like to find some CFL bulbs that will last as LEDs are too expensive for the most part. The LED bulbs are normally $25, but a power company subsidy means I paid $14 each.

Roger Newby
05-16-2012, 1:29 PM
You can get CFL bulbs that are made specifically for ceiling fans. Regular CFL bulbs aren't designed to be upside down because of heat build up in the ballast in the base and that shortens the life of the bulb. Just look for the "ceiling fan use" on the label.

http://www.doitbest.com/Incandescent+light+bulbs-G+E+Lighting-model-78937+FLE11+2+A17CB+CD-doitbest-sku-525936.dib

This is just one example.

glenn bradley
05-16-2012, 1:45 PM
I have been running the same CFL lamps in the fan in my MBR since I moved in in 2005. I live in So Cal and the fan and lights get used pretty much year round. Seriously, the quality versions are not just priced higher for fun (as we strongly suspect for other items :rolleyes:). The cheap CFL's are not worth the effort to take them back to the store for replacements. Come to think of it, I have not replaced a CFL in my house that has a 'name brand' on it since their installation. I must admit that I replaced many $1 to $3 versions before I learned my lesson ;-)

Brian Elfert
05-16-2012, 3:28 PM
I don't think GE is a poor brand, but I don't really know. The reason I get them for $1.50 is power company subsidies. I'll have to look at those ceiling fan CFLs, but I really want something that is at least 60 watt equiv. I've been running 100 watt equiv in my ceiling fans to get more light as CFL are often underrated. I might go with halogen bulbs that doesn't save quite as much energy.

Ron Natalie
05-16-2012, 5:15 PM
LED "equivalent watt" ratings are often even more exagerated.

glenn bradley
05-16-2012, 6:33 PM
I don't think GE is a poor brand, but I don't really know. The reason I get them for $1.50 is power company subsidies.

I agree. I would expect those to last(?). The ones I have happen to be Sylvania as that is what I bought but, I would've expected the same from GE or Phillips. Being almost 7 years ago, maybe today the name brands don't count for any more quality in light bulbs than they do in woodworking tools. Very well could be if I bought the "same" bulb today, it wouldn't last a month . . . depressing. We have the forum to help us pick the winners from each paint color and tool type but, who do we turn to for good light bulbs?

Brian Elfert
05-16-2012, 9:21 PM
LED "equivalent watt" ratings are often even more exagerated.

It seems like the watts equiv rating is exaggerated on almost every energy saving light bulb. I found some halogen bulbs that said they take 45W but are supposedly the same as a 75W bulb. I want to see that 75 watt bulb that is less than 500 lumens. A normal 75 watt bulb is over 800 lumens. The LED bulbs I bought and returned were rated at over 800 lumens and the rating appeared correct. I saw some other LED bulbs that are R20, but they are a wimpy 300 lumens or less.

Pat Barry
05-16-2012, 10:18 PM
My light like that is on a dimmer. You need a special dimmer for CFL bulbs, otherwise they will burn out very quickly. Use the incandescents.

Brian Elfert
05-16-2012, 11:07 PM
I don't have any dimmers in my house so dimming the light is not causing the bulbs to burn out.