PDA

View Full Version : USA: Support and Protect Retired Military Dogs!

Kevin Gregoire
05-15-2012, 10:50 PM
I took action on this issue today and thought some of you might find it interesting too.
Call and email your U.S. senators in Washington, D.C., and urge them to cosponsor the Canine Members of the Armed Forces Act. Take action now http://capwiz.com/aspca/utr/2/?a=61336366&i=120561069&c=&u=www.aspca.org%2Fmilitarydogs

Military working dogs (MWDs) help keep us safe and perform important tasks that can be difficult, if not impossible, for humans. Unfortunately, they are currently classified as “equipment” by the U.S. Department of Defense. This classification not only trivializes these animals’ contributions, it also makes it difficult to transport dogs serving in foreign lands back to the United States for adoption once they’re ready for civilian life. Additionally, retired MWDs often require expensive veterinary care for health issues related to their service.

While the ASPCA recognizes the value of incorporating animals in the military, we believe military animals should be treated humanely every step of the way—from
training right through retirement. Our government’s commitment to these heroic animals’ well-being must extend beyond the period of military service.

In order to better recognize their contributions, the Canine Members of the Armed Forces Act will reclassify MWDs as “canine members of the armed forces” (instead of “equipment”)
and will institute programs to assure their health and well-being after retirement from service—all without using federal funds.

Greg Peterson
05-15-2012, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the link. I contacted my senators.

Van Huskey
05-16-2012, 12:19 AM
Thanks, worthy cause.

Scott T Smith
05-16-2012, 5:54 PM
Kevin, thanks for posting this link and topic. I just took action as well

Scott

Pat Barry
05-16-2012, 9:06 PM
This is a great idea. Thanks for posting the info.