PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Isle

Lou Morrissette
04-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Will be travelling to Emerald Isle, NC later this month. From a woodworking standpoint, anything to see or do in the area?

Lou

Ernie Hobbs
04-01-2005, 10:43 AM
Absolutely--- if you're interested in history and woodworking, check out Tryon Palace in New Bern (about 30 miles north up US17). It was the capital of the state when they were a British colony. Also, check out Beaufort (about 10 miles east, down US 70). Lots of 18th century houses and a great maritime museum. Also, there are many boat builders in the area that are cool to watch. If you are looking for anything specific, let me know. I used to live in the area up until a couple of years ago.

Lou Morrissette
04-02-2005, 9:53 AM
Thanks, Ernie. The boatbuilding and maritime museum sounds like a good take.

Lou

Harry Goodwin
04-02-2005, 4:58 PM
Lou: I live in Greenville NC. You will love the boatbuilding museum in

Beaufort but don't go on Monday. (closed) Volunteeers work in a large shop visible to the world from a balcony and a small shop for models. The other Museum is across the street on land side free. Walk toward the ocean and turn left and go to antique shop on the left that may have a great find in old tools at reasonable prices. Probably from England. There may be some good pier fishing as well but sometimes they will say you should have been here yesterday or tomorrow. good luck and enjoy NC

Harry Goodwin
04-02-2005, 5:07 PM
Lou, I'm back. If you are a bird carver or interested go to Harkers island where bird carving reigns. Several museums and lots of interesting stuff all free. Not that that makes a difference. Have a great vacation. Harry

Lou Morrissette
04-02-2005, 6:32 PM
Harry,

From what you and Ernie say, looks like Beaufort is the place to be. Sounds pretty interesting. I was planning on throwing the fishing rod in the trunk just in case. That pier looks very inviting.

Thanks again.

Lou