PDA

View Full Version : What Type Of Joint Is This?

Scott Lemmers
04-01-2005, 9:50 AM
Could somebody please tell me what type of joint this is? This is from my current kitchen cabinets. I would like to duplicate them (somewhat) in our new house.

Is this the best type of joint to use.

Is this the most common with manufacturers?

Thank you all for your help and guidance. This have been a very useful forum, and I appreciate your patience with the new guy!!

Jeff Sudmeier
04-01-2005, 9:59 AM
Looks to me to be simple frame and panel. This is what I have used for all of my frame and panel projects so far. In 3/4" material you cut a centered 1/4" wide by 1/2" deep groove on the inside of all peices. Then on your rails, you cut a matching centered tennon that is 1/2" long. It is very simple, yet strong contruction.

Greg Hairston
04-01-2005, 10:04 AM
Looks like a groove and tenon. They cut a groove in the Rails and stiles. Because it is production work the groove is cut all the way through. A custom job may try and hide the grove or stop the grove not showing the tennon. Pretty simple joint. Can be easily done on a router table.

Hope that helps. You may want to pick up a book on joinery. That may help... I could suggest Tauntons series... Joinery by Gary Rogowski or Funiture and Cabinet Construction by Rae.

Greg

Charlie Plesums
04-01-2005, 10:05 AM
Looks like a haunched tenon. Especially easy to do if the edges if the opening for a center panel are square, not figured with a roundover, ogee, etc. A regular tenon that is most of the width of the rail is left slightly longer on the outside to fill the groove that is cut for the center panel. It also adds to the strength of the joint - see www.geoffswoodwork.co.uk/mortise01.htm (http://www.geoffswoodwork.co.uk/mortise01.htm) or google haunch tenon for more references.

The simple version is to just make the full width of the tenon long enough to fill the groove. Although a 1/2 inch tenon may seem short, it should be adequate for a kitchen door (although not adequate for an entry door).

Charlie

Tony Falotico
04-01-2005, 10:10 AM
Scott, I'm reluctant to quote terminology here, so many joints in WW seem to have different names in different regions........... But

I recently used this joint on the base for the workbench I'm working on out of WoodSmith magazine. They call it Groove and Stub Tenon. They are relatively easy to cut, glue up good and tight, easy to square, and the beauty is the groove the stub tenon sits in is the very same groove the face panel sits in.

I don't know how widely it is used, I won't start the debate on what the best joint is...... all I can tell you is that I've used this one before very successfully and never had a problem with it. I've cut the groove and stub tenon on the table saw, works well for me because by setting the fence for the groove then turning your stock 180 degrees assures the groove is perfectly centered. It takes some trial & error to get the stub tenon cut to the exact thickness, but that's what scraps are for and you can get a very accurate fit with a little patience. You can also cut the groove and tenon on a router table with the same success. Whatever works best for you.

Give it a try, I'm sure you'll like it! :)

Charlie Plesums
04-02-2005, 9:22 AM
The stub tenon is only as long as the groove is deep. I believe it would be fine for a cabinet door.

The haunch has a "full length" tenon - probably an inch or more with the outer shoulder trimmed back to just fill the groove - the mortise in the groove is set back from the end of the board.

The longer haunch tenon has more wood involved and more glue area, so presumably is stronger. But the stub tenon is strong enough for many uses.

Mark Singer
04-02-2005, 9:36 AM
It is a simple tongue and groove joint

Steve Clardy
04-02-2005, 9:48 AM
It is a simple tongue and groove joint

Yes. That's what I call it.
Steve:)

Mark Singer
04-02-2005, 9:55 AM
Fine for cabinet doors....you can let the panel float...no glue and just trap it in the frame...or you can hide it by using a mortise and tenon...which is a little more work...a loose M&T is also posible and if you make a jig...it would be easy to make a lot quickly.

Steve Cox
04-02-2005, 10:07 AM
Not to get into a terminology dispute, but here goes anyway:rolleyes: . I'm under the impression that T & G refers to joints that run along the length of whatever piece of wood you're working with. Flooring being one example. If the joint is perpindicular to the grain of one of the pieces then you have a tenon of some kind. In this case, I'm with Tony, it looks like a groove with stub tenon. I hate terminology, it can get confusing, but I used to be an instructor so I keep trying to get it right.:cool: