PDA

View Full Version : Just a Couple of Things

Jim Koepke
05-15-2012, 3:25 PM
Went to Costco last week and one thing caught my eye.

It was nitrile gloves, 200 pair for $19.99. That is a lot better than many prices I have seen. At first my thoughts ran to some of the thin ones that split just about every time they are used. So I passed on them. Then while going down the aisle one of the sample servers had a pack and let me try one on. She had the small size and my hands need the large. The quick trial had me turning around to pick up the large size.

Now for something completely different...

For some reason a lot of checks have been showing up in my mail. I think it is downright crazy that someone will send us a check for less than a dollar for an over payment on a bill that we will just have to pay again next month. Heck, our insurance company lowered our rate and forgot to tell us. This resulted in us getting checks back. At least they attached a note to explain.

Our bank sent us a check for $10 with no explanation. I called, they had no idea and told me to just cash it. This is the same bank that is in the news lately for loosing $2 Billion. Hopefully that $10 had nothing to do with it. When it was taken to the local branch my inquiry was met with suspicion. The teller said it didn't look like one of their normal checks. When she asked her supervisor, they started making calls. Soon it seemed like I was the center of attention and they were trying to make sure I didn't make a run for the door. It had the feeling of the swat team was about to burst through the door and take me away. A few minutes later the teller came back to me and said no one could explain what the check was about, they were told to just cash it.

That brings me to yesterday's mail with a check for $75. There was paper work attached with an invoice number and a note that said "vise shims." It was from F + W Media, INC I have no idea who they are...

After calling the number and getting voice mail, the conclusion was that it was after hours in their time zone.

THEN IT HIT ME!

This was payment for my submission of a tip to Popular WoodWorking:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?183743-Anti-Rack-Spacer-Stack

Should be published in the August edition.

Before I cash any check, I like to know what the heck strings may be attached.

jtk

Jim Matthews
05-15-2012, 4:03 PM
That's hilarious.

You have so many good ideas that you can't remember them all!
The only good idea I ever had was asking my wife-to-be out to lunch.

Her mother insists it's the first mistake her daughter ever made.

That's a good question about the $2Billion and stacks of $10 rebates...

Jim Koepke
05-15-2012, 6:28 PM
That's a good question about the $2Billion and stacks of $10 rebates...

I forgot to mention the one from our health plan. I called to inquire and got the voice mail routine. It said to talk to someone about appointments press 1, to request information about a check that came in the mail, press 3. After pressing three, a recording came on and said that the check was sent for valid reasons and to just cash it.

Must be that other people were also sent checks and this was their way of telling us to just go spend the money.

jtk