PDA

View Full Version : First lathe and first turning

Steve Brannick
05-15-2012, 10:55 AM
I have been wanting to try turning for quite a while, but instead took up carving, well this past weekend was doing the CL scans and seen a Jet 1236 for sale just a couple hours away, so after a mad dash Saturday night, and getting it set up Sunday, I completed my first turning with a hunk of hickory from the wood pile. I can already tell this used 450 investment is going to cost me a ton of money, already got a list started for a chuck, new turning tools, sanding and finishing supplies, and continues to grow.

Brian Kent
05-15-2012, 11:39 AM
Congratulations, Steve. I'm really happy for you. Yet, lots of costs for tools, but you can take your own sweet time!

Kyle Iwamoto
05-15-2012, 11:53 AM
You got that for $450? Nice score. I think it's gloat worthy.

Welcome. Your credit card company will love you.

Dennis Ford
05-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Welcome to the vortex.

Steve Vaughan
05-15-2012, 7:58 PM
Oh my! Whatever you do, do NOT search the internet auction site for steals on things such as turning tools and such. And, do NOT search any of the popular online woodworking store catalogs or anything like that and fall prey to their really awesome sales and deals. No, No, No.

Actually, go for it! All you can stand it! Nice job on a first, and you're gonna do great on many, many more! You've added another skill to go with your carving and they both can work very well together. Congrats and welcome!

John Keeton
05-15-2012, 8:10 PM
Steve, welcome to the round side of the creek! Great job on the 'shroom turning, and looks like you got a good deal on the lathe, too. Just the beginning....just the beginning...:D

David Gilbert
05-15-2012, 8:24 PM
One suggestion for you is to put your name and date and "First Turning" on the bottom. Resist the urge to go back and fix your first finished objects. I still have some of my early turnings and it's nice to see how things progress. Welcome to the vortex.

Cheers,
David

Eric Holmquist
05-15-2012, 8:29 PM
You are off to a great start, keep at it!

Harry Robinette
05-15-2012, 9:13 PM
Welcome and remember. READ before you buy. Meaning theres a ton of info here on the creek and everyone here is willing to answer your questions.
read some of the old threads when your looking to buy a chuck or tools or whatever and above all Enjoy.

Bernie Weishapl
05-15-2012, 9:18 PM
Welcome Steve to the black hole. Looks like a great start.

Thomas Canfield
05-15-2012, 9:44 PM
Welcome Steve and congratulations on your choice of starter. The 1236 has a lot of good features and power for a lot of turning, and I stepped up to it from a Jet 1014 for size and power. I had one before my Powermatic 3520B, and only real complaints was could not go slow enough for some rough out of balance material and the 12" diameter. There is definitely a lot of learning and good production that can be done on that lathe.

Steve Brannick
05-15-2012, 9:54 PM
Thanks for the welcomes and you are all correct there is a ton of great information here, I spend to much time looking through the post!

Bernie - I noticed your from Goodland, I grew up there and my brother still lives there as well as many friends, might run into you on one of our visits.

Steve Schlumpf
05-16-2012, 3:12 PM
Steve - Welcome to the Creek! Nice gloat on the lathe and a real nice job on your first turning! Looking forward to watching you progress in the world of turning!

Mike Willeson
05-16-2012, 9:11 PM
Welcome. I think you'll really enjoy turning!

Joe Mioux
05-16-2012, 9:52 PM
congratulations on your new lathe....

Baxter Smith
05-16-2012, 11:04 PM
Welcome Steve! You are in for lots of fun!

Kathy Marshall
05-17-2012, 12:17 AM
Welcome to the vortex Steve! And congrats on the purchase of what will become just a drop in the barrel of the of your future purchases to feed the vortex :eek:. but at least you'll enjoy giving all your money away! :D

Rick Markham
05-17-2012, 3:50 AM
Welcome Steve!!! Great mushroom! Get ready to have fun... (Yes it's expensive, but totally worth it!) Besides once in your in the vortex resistance is futile :eek: