PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading old jointer

Craig Regan
05-15-2012, 9:45 AM
I have an old American 12" jointer, with a two blade "clamshell" head, and babbitt bearings. I would like to switch it out for a regular head with 3 or 4 blades and gibbs. Also considering ball bearings.

Has anyone ever done this successfully? Would I need a machinist to do the work? and where is the best place to find a replacement head, It does not have to be "new" as long as it can fitted, a used head would be fine.

This is a nice machine but would be evan better with a different head.

Thanks in advance, Craig

Keith Hankins
05-15-2012, 9:52 AM
I would go over to OWW website. http://www.owwm.org/ Register there and so a search. I'll bet if its been done someone will have detailed it. If not, someone can tell you how. Great site!

Jeff Duncan
05-15-2012, 11:07 AM
Keith has it right, it has been done a plenty and those guys can give you a lot of advice on how to do it right. I personally wouldn't mess with the babbitt bearings unless you had to. If they're in good condition they'll outlast any sealed ball bearing you find. They do add a bit of challenge though in that you'll likely need to source a used planer cutter head instead of a jointer head for the extra length. I believe as long as you find a cutter head with the same size outside diameter you can have the ends machined to fit. But that's where my knowledge ends and you have to ask someone who knows what they're talking about;)

good luck,
JeffD

Craig Regan
05-15-2012, 12:09 PM
I was thinking there might be some old cutter heads around, because a lot of people have switched to the spiral head - I have not found one yet, still looking!

Brian Weick
05-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Some pillow block bearings will work, it may or may not need some machining to the base...sk sealed bearings would probably work well 6000 series. The cutter head...IMPO , get a 3-4 straight blade cutter head. It's been done..(the conversion).many times. I have a 1927 American #1 "Buzz" 16" hand jointer - came with the bath ball bearing plenum and a 3 blade cutter. It is incredible how well built these mahines are and the proof is in our shop. Yours has got to built before 1919 .... Or very close..... You may have the cam adjustment in the out feed table for spring board joints... Not sure with out any more info..

Consider yourself lucky to own almost a ton of American built crafted WW Machiney when quality was Key, and they did NOT skimp when it came to cast iron,,,,LOL.

Talk with a machinist , locally. Find a replacement head, take some measurements and some pictures and bring them to your local machinist..it's been done before........many times.......

Kudos to you and your choice in some fine WW machinery....

B, thumbs up!

Jeff Heath
05-18-2012, 12:21 AM
I have restored several old jointers, and presently own a Yates American 12"er. You are wise to consider swapping out that old clamshell head for a 4 knife head. Here's a couple of thoughts:

1st, you do not need to get rid of your babbitt bearings. I don't know why, but babbitt doesn't get a fraction of the credit it deserves. Sealed ball bearings require replacing every 15 to 20 years, as the grease inside loses it's ability to lubricate and dries out. Babbitt, on the other hand, with proper maintenance......(keep oil in the oilers.....that's real hard, huh?) can last 2 lifetimes. When it does need to get replaced, babbitt is not that difficult of a job to replace. We've done them as demo's at almost every OWWM gathering I go to, and it's really quite easy for someone just slightly mechanically inclined. And, if you mess up the first attempt, just melt it out and repour. You get to keep trying until you like your results.

As far as the cutterhead is concerned, your cheapest route will be to find a used cutterhead (24"er....maybe less) of the same diameter and have it machined down. Your cutterhead babbitt bearing journals can be machined to match the existing clamshell head by any competent machinist. I know guys who have made their own from bar stock of the proper grade of metal, and there's a good write up on it over at practicalmachinist.com.

Once that machine is setup with a solid 3 or 4 knife head, it will outperform any jointer made today for under $15K.

Jeff