PDA

View Full Version : Shop door material

Jim O'Dell
04-01-2005, 8:19 AM
I'm going to be building my swing open shop doors in a couple weeks. I haven't finalized the design yet, but I'm thinking of a torsion box style design. These doors will be about 86 inches tall, and just a hair under 5 feet wide. I'm afraid weight will be a problem, so should I use plywood for the webbing? or is there something else that would be strong and lighter?
Also, I remember Jim Becker and others talking about special hinges for outswing doors that are tamper proof from a theft standpoint. Where can these be purchased?
Thanks for your help! Jim

Gary Whitt
04-01-2005, 9:17 AM
I went ahead and built mine out of 2x4s and plywood. Kinda heavy, but sturdy.

I used 3 heavy-duty hinges on each door.

They swing outward.

You can make the hinges theft-proof by backing one screw out (of each hinge) about 3/8", then sawing off the head (leaving about 3/16 protruding).

On the opposite side of the hinge, drill a hole to accept this pin when the door is closed.

When the door is closed, the protruding "pin" fits in the drilled hole.

Even if the hinge pins are removed, the pin keeps the hinge sides together, preventing the door from being slid off the hinge.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-01-2005, 9:21 AM
I would build these doors using "gate hinges". They make hinges now that are a hinge and a right angle bracket built into each other. They aren't the cheapest hinges, but they are VERY sturdy. We have built up to 6 foot wide by about 7 foot tall gates out of 2x4s and fencing and they do not sag at all. I have even seen a 100lb kid ride one of these gates with no damage.

Good luck!

Michael McCoy
04-01-2005, 9:35 AM
Gary - out of curiousity - did you do a rail and style type of design? I'm adding a craft room for my bride that adjoins my shop. Seeing as she wants wall to wall windows that aren't visible from the house, I was thinking of 2x4 construction for security.