PDA

View Full Version : The Veritas Bench Chisels Reviewed

Derek Cohen
05-14-2012, 7:30 PM
What's in the box .......... ?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Chisels/LV%20Chisel%20Review/Box1.jpg

Why, the new Veritas O1 Bench Chisels!

Reviewed here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/VeritasChiselReview.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mike Henderson
05-14-2012, 8:45 PM
In your review you recommend against the Koyamaichi because of the handle - that it's uncomfortable to push the chisel because of the shape of the top of the handle and the hoop. And that you'd have to buy a paring chisel to get complete function. But why not replace the handle? You don't have to hit the chisel with a metal hammer - you can use it like a western chisel but take advantage of the edge holding of the steel.

Mike

Brian Kerley
05-14-2012, 8:54 PM
Derek, thanks for the review. I guess...I'm kind of underwhelmed. They are a good chisel no doubt. Good steel, nice handles, etc. From a personal standpoint of preferring the look of the LNs, it's hard to convince myself to get the LVs instead. Especially considering the price point isn't any better than LN from what I can tell. No doubt that good chisels cost money of course. I was kinda hoping LV could deliver for <$220. It does appear though that LV may be providing quite an intriguing chisel with the powdered metals. Those could be a game changer really.

David Weaver
05-14-2012, 8:58 PM
The hoop should be set farther into the K-I chisel allowing the butt of the chisel to mushroom over, keeping your hand from getting gouged by the edge of the hoop.

Derek Cohen
05-14-2012, 9:21 PM
The hoop should be set farther into the K-I chisel allowing the butt of the chisel to mushroom over, keeping your hand from getting gouged by the edge of the hoop.

Hi David, I have a good many Japanese chisels. Some have the hoops set lower. Either way, the handles are not comfortable for pushing.

But why not replace the handle?

Hi Mike ... it is just not practical. The Japanese tang-socket system is more complicated than a tang- or socket alone.

I was kinda hoping LV could deliver for <$220. It does appear though that LV may be providing quite an intriguing chisel with the powdered metals. Those could be a game changer really.

Hi Brian, my own expectation early on was that Lee Valley might aim for a lower price. However, having the fact is that these chisels are expensive to manufacture. The LV-Vll versions will be a little more expensive as the steel is costly.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Igor Petrenko
05-14-2012, 9:56 PM
I guess all designers and testers for this set had extra large hands. Despite having full narex set I keep reaching for my crapy old Stanleys with plastic handles that are slightly shorter then 750 just because they are more comfortable for my medium sized hands.

Mike Henderson
05-15-2012, 12:01 AM
Hi Mike ... it is just not practical. The Japanese tang-socket system is more complicated than a tang- or socket alone.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Actually, it's not very difficult. I have a set of Japanese chisels and didn't like the handles for the same reasons so I made new handles for them. Making the new handles is not any more difficult than making handles for western socket chisels.

Attached is a picture of the handles I made for my Japanese chisels. I also have a set of pictures showing the steps in making the handles which I'll post if anyone wants to see them.

I don't use Japanese chisels a lot but when I do use them, I use them the same way as I use western chisels - that is, I hit them with a wooden mallet rather than a steel hammer.

Mike

Chris Vandiver
05-15-2012, 12:21 AM
Actually, it's not very difficult. I have a set of Japanese chisels and didn't like the handles for the same reasons so I made new handles for them. Making the new handles is not any more difficult than making handles for western socket chisels.

Attached is a picture of the handles I made for my Japanese chisels. I also have a set of pictures showing the steps in making the handles which I'll post if anyone wants to see them.

I don't use Japanese chisels a lot but when I do use them, I use them the same way as I use western chisels - that is, I hit them with a wooden mallet rather than a steel hammer.

Mike

Mike- Wonderful job on the handles you made for your Japanese chisels. Elegant and functional, all in one. I like it!

Chris Vandiver
05-15-2012, 1:26 AM
Here is another example of a Japanese chisel( the two without the hoop) with a "comfortable" handle for paring(pushing) or striking with mallet or non metalic hammer.

Derek Cohen
05-15-2012, 5:17 AM
Chris and Mike

These are beautifully done. Chris is that Boxwood? It is stunning. Mike, your work is always excellent, but handling a Japanese chisel is more work than a Western chisel no matter that you did it so well. Incidentally, I did not "recommend against the Koyamaichi", as you wrote. I am hugely enthusiastic about mine. I simply stated that the handles of the Veritas chisels were more comfortable when pushing, and that a buyer seeking an all round chisel would likely see this as important.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Matthew Hills
05-15-2012, 9:50 AM
Derek,
is "Jacaranda" a big tree with blue blossoms?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_gHOoRoOLFxM/S-Qtmvv_vgI/AAAAAAAABNE/DCbhM_QAO64/s200/nsw_nr_jacaranda_bg.jpg

I've never seen it used for lumber, but it is in some yards in the area. Time to check with our urban pruner.

Matt

Chris Vandiver
05-15-2012, 9:54 AM
Chris and Mike

These are beautifully done. Chris is that Boxwood? It is stunning. Mike, your work is always excellent, but handling a Japanese chisel is more work than a Western chisel no matter that you did it so well. Incidentally, I did not "recommend against the Koyamaichi", as you wrote. I am hugely enthusiastic about mine. I simply stated that the handles of the Veritas chisels were more comfortable when pushing, and that a buyer seeking an all round chisel would likely see this as important.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

The handles are made from Gumi( Japanese boxwood ) and they are stock and ordered that way from Japan.

Derek Cohen
05-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Derek,
is "Jacaranda" a big tree with blue blossoms?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_gHOoRoOLFxM/S-Qtmvv_vgI/AAAAAAAABNE/DCbhM_QAO64/s200/nsw_nr_jacaranda_bg.jpg

I've never seen it used for lumber, but it is in some yards in the area. Time to check with our urban pruner.

Matt

That's the one!

As I understand, they originate in South America, found their way to South Africa (very numerous in Cape Town), and then to Perth. They are scattered throughout my neighbourhood.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Andrew Pitonyak
05-15-2012, 10:38 AM
What's in the box .......... ?

First let me say that I profit greatly from your reviews. Second, I intend to biuld a box to hold some chisels and I have been tossing around a few different design ideas in my head. When I saw the box that you made I decided "yeah, I need to do that" :-) Thanks!

I am curious, how did you hinge the box?

Mike Henderson
05-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Chris and Mike

... Mike, your work is always excellent, but handling a Japanese chisel is more work than a Western chisel no matter that you did it so well.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Making a handle for a Japanese chisel is a bit different than making a handle for a western chisel but it's not difficult. It's a combination of making a handle for a tang chisel and a handle for a socket chisel. You drill the hole for the tang first, just like you would when making a handle for a western tang chisel. Then you turn a taper on the end, just like you would for a western socket chisel. So it is a tiny bit more work (you have to turn the rest of the chisel any way you go). But as far as difficulty, it's well within the capabilities of anyone who can make a handle for a western chisel.

[added note] In fact, since you have to turn the end of a handle for a tang chisel for the ferrule, it's really about the same as making a handle for a western tang chisel. Perhaps the hardest thing is getting the old handles off:)

Mike

[One more comment: The Blue Spruce chisels use exactly the same type of attachment as the Veritas - the Japanese tang and socket technique.]

Derek Cohen
05-15-2012, 11:01 AM
Hi Andrew

The hinge is different. It had to allow the lid to stay up on its own.

Here is the front of the box again ..

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Chisels/LV%20Chisel%20Review/Box1.jpg

Here is the rear ..

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Chisels/LV%20Chisel%20Review/Box2.jpg

The lid is pinned from the side. At the rear you can see the lid and the box are both bevelled at the join.

Here is another rear view ...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Chisels/LV%20Chisel%20Review/new19.jpg

.. and one more from the side ..

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Chisels/LV%20Chisel%20Review/new20.jpg

Internally, there is a rounded bar that closes over the curve in the handles. This secures the chisels even when the box is upended. The grain in the bar runs in the same direction as the lid (the lid is bookmatched from two pieces). The rear of the chisels rests against a leather filler (leather over wood). The chisel handles lie inside a dovetail-shaped recess (there is an image of this being pared in the review) .

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Chisels/LV%20Chisel%20Review/New7.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

David Weaver
05-15-2012, 11:03 AM
Really a very nice box for a set of chisels, the nicest I can recall seeing anywhere.

Jonas Baker
05-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Great review as usual Derek. I am curious why there is no 1/8 inch chisel. Any plans to add an 1/8 inch chisel in the future? I would need one for small dovetails and other detail work.

Derek Cohen
05-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Hi Jonas

I suspect that the 1/8" will depend on demand. It was one of the sizes that I would want as well. Indeed, I use a 3/16" more frequently than a 1/4".

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mike Allen1010
05-15-2012, 2:18 PM
Derek,

Thank you for your very thorough review of the new Veritas bench chisels. I really appreciate the time and effort you put into your comprehensive evaluation and testing.

I really appreciate the satisfaction and productivity that comes from using well designed and made hand tools. I don't know anything about metallurgy, and I have to confess I have a hard time understanding the combination of "art and science" that is sometimes used to describe the differences between the various contemporary, vintage, Western, Japanese planes and chisels. For example, I see the Rockwell hardness # for various edge tools quoted frequently, but don't think that really tells the whole story of how effectively the tool works.

The kind of practical, real-world information you included in your review about how the handles feel in your hand and the blades hold up to real world woodworking tasks like chopping mortises and pairing end grain is incredibly helpful for me. Speaking personally, I know if I had read your reviews before buying all the tools in my shop, I could have saved a lot of money and ended up with tools better suited to the work I do (Trial and error can be in expensive and time-consuming way to learn!). Thanks again for all the many contributions you make to our community!

BTW, your chisel box is typically thoughtfully designed and flawlessly executed -- great work! Thanks for sharing.

All the best, Mike

and vintagegoes into making edge tools.

Klaus Kretschmar
05-15-2012, 2:20 PM
I'm too curious to see and to try these chisels! Was hoping to do that the next saturday but sadly it doesn't work. The user wrote me, that he's completely hooked with the tools. He is well experienced so I guess that those chisels must be very good. I'll meet him in June and can't wait to judge them myself! I'll keep you updated.

Klaus