PDA

View Full Version : WW Disaster - Part II & Question

Warren White
04-01-2005, 12:42 AM
Well, thanks to a lot of helpful suggestions from you Creekers, I climbed back on the Leigh Dovetail jig horse and tried again. Success!! I found myself singing "I'm back in the saddle again..."

The secret (as suggested) was using something a bit more hefty than the 1/4" shank bit that chattered so much it loosened up.

It was suggested I buy a Leigh 8 mm collar, which I did. Ordered it one afternoon, and it arrived the next afternoon. I used 8 mm cutters, kept a close eye on the collet nut, dialed the speed down a bit, and carefully cut the pins and tails. Nary a problem to be seen. I would post pictures, but I have to glue, clamp and sand before I share this story with the world. The dovetails aren't the elegant ones that are cut by hand, but they are just fine for this application. All equally sized and equally spaced. I don't have much of a talent for the esoteric.

The case is made up of two pieces of cherry with a piece of curly maple in between, so the effect is seeing the light wood wrap around the box.

Now the next question: What is the preferred method of attaching cedar (my plan is to use a kit for closet flooring) to the plywood bottom? Are there any secrets to this particular part of the project you would care to share? Do I leave some room for expansion, or trim the pieces right to the inside dimension of the box? I don't think I want to run the cedar up the sides, but I am open to suggestions.

You folks were great to offer suggestions and keep me trying. I really am pleased I didn't give in to my first inclination and give up on the dovetails.

Thanks again,
Warren

Jeff Sudmeier
04-01-2005, 8:29 AM
Warren, when I lined my cedar chest I did allow room for the cedar to move all around. I nailed it down to the plywood bottom. I also ran it up the sides, because I thought that maybe the bottom cedar would get covered up by whatever was in the bottom and what was on top wouldn't benifit.

I put in the bottom cedar first with an 1/8th gap all around. THen I lined the sides. Finally I cut trim peices (from cherry, the wood for the rest of the project), to hide the gaps at the tops and corners.

Good luck!

Richard Wolf
04-01-2005, 5:27 PM
Glad to hear you worked past it, I know your a better man for it.

Richard

Jerry Clark
04-01-2005, 8:11 PM
When I built a bunch for the family, I used liquid nails and butted it tight, :cool: worked OK.

Michael Pfau
04-01-2005, 8:42 PM
Hi Warren, I have the Liegh Jig, and by all means use 8mm or half inch bits. I use Whiteside bits only, and they sell the corresponding bits to match up with the Leigh bits. I use half inch bits whenever possible. On page 12 of general woodworking, I have a thread with a picture of a Hope Chest I made for my daughter about a year ago,made out of cherry. Happy Dovetailing!