PDA

View Full Version : Jointer Plane ID help

Cody Cantrell
05-14-2012, 10:12 AM
I just won this Jointer off of that auction site and need help identifying it. The only markings on it are 07. The lateral adjustment lever is flat, it had a MF 2 3/8" iron in it and a replacement tote that was made many moons ago. The knob appeared to be beech but I am not sure. The bolts to attach the knob and tote are tapped 1/4-20. Thanks for the help.

Cody

P.S. never posted pictures before so hope this works.

Greg Wease
05-14-2012, 10:58 AM
It's made by Ohio Tool. I just checked one of mine and the screws holding tote and knob are 1/4-20 while the frog hold-down screws are 12-20 like Stanleys. I had never checked this before.

Cody Cantrell
05-14-2012, 11:08 AM
Thanks Greg I suspected that. Is there someplace I could get some more info on it or any Ohio planes? Are they decent planes? The frog looks good were the iron beds. The area were the frog beds to the sole is a little different. There was a brass shim between the frog and the sole of the plane I guess to make it a higher angle? Definitely not factory. Thanks for anyextra info.

Zach Dillinger
05-14-2012, 11:29 AM
Yup, Ohio Tool. Too bad you don't have the original blade, some say they are superior to the Stanley blade (thicker). I have an 06 that I never use (it came in one of my tool chest purchases) and the blade looks pretty thick. Should be a nice worker for you.

Cody Cantrell
05-14-2012, 11:52 AM
Is the lateral adjustment lever supposed to be flat or is it supposed to have a twist like a Union or MF. I plan on restoring this plane into a user so if any adjustments need to be made before I refinish I will do them. Anybody know what the original knob and tote are made from? I was going to go to the wood store and pick up cocobolo for them but if they were made out of a native species that would be cheaper I am ok with that. Also I was going to use a template from Lee Valley's web site for the tote, I assume they were roughly the same shape as a Stanley #7, will that be ok? This has the counter bore for the raised portion like a stanley #4 has. Thanks.

Jim Koepke
05-14-2012, 11:59 AM
There was a brass shim between the frog and the sole of the plane I guess to make it a higher angle?

Someone may have put that in if the frog screws are a hair long to keep them from cracking the sole.

If it was on just on the back side of the screws, then it could have raised the frog angle a few degrees.

jtk

Zach Dillinger
05-14-2012, 1:45 PM
Cody, if you like, I can grab some pics of my 06 later tonight. You might be able to see enough to answer your questions here: http://eatoncountywoodworker.blogspot.com/2010/07/i-got-another-one.html. The 06 is the plane that is sitting on its sole on top of the drawer till in the right hand side of the box in the second pic.

Cody Cantrell
05-14-2012, 2:25 PM
Thanks Zach the picture looks like the lateral adjustment lever is twisted. Is this how all of Ohio's planes levers were or were some flat? Mine was a little bent but does not appear to have ever been twisted. I can twist it but would like to know some dimensions before I do. I would love to see pictures if you would thank you for the offer.
Cody

Greg Wease
05-14-2012, 3:11 PM
I'm not an expert on Ohio Tool but I do have a reprint of their 1910 catalog. Unfortunately, there aren't many details. The blades were definitely thicker and tapered, like those you find in a woody. The laterals were all twisted and, at least on my 5 1/2, the lateral measures approx. 1 1/4" from the center of the twist to the tip. I have seen examples of laterals that were untwisted by users, perhaps for more clearance to the top of the tote. They are solid planes and definitely worth cleaning and tunig. Sorry I can't add any more info.

Zach Dillinger
05-14-2012, 8:01 PM
Cody, here are your pics.

Cody Cantrell
05-15-2012, 9:40 AM
Thanks for the pics Zach. Two things I noticed though, the lateral adjustment lever on mine has the 2 piece riveted washer similar to Stanleys planes were yours is a one pice lever. And yours says No. 06 and mine just says 07 did they ad the No. or subtract it maybe? What does the frog bedding area look like under the frog on the sole of the plane?
Thank you for the measurements Greg. If I retwist I will use that dimension, I am thinking heat to get the bend? Shouldnt have to retemper anything right? Figured that part was just mild steel. Thanks guys.

Cody

Greg Wease
05-15-2012, 11:07 AM
Cody, just do a cold bend on the lateral. The steel is pretty soft and doesn't need any heating or re-tempering.

I looked at a couple of my Ohio Tool planes, one with the one-piece lateral like Zach's (which I assume is earlier?) and one like you pictured. The frog receiver shape is identical with both frogs. The one-piece lateral lever is a little shorter than the one with the disk.

Cody Cantrell
05-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Thanks a bunch Greg.