PDA

View Full Version : I am paranoid, How much flameup is too much?

nathan mcafee
05-13-2012, 10:01 PM
I am vector cutting 1/8" hardboard with my nifty Zing but am afraid to take my eyes off the laser. I have set up a webcam and keep my laser area dark so I will see the flash on my screen if anything ever catches fire but want to know how likely it is on 1/8 birch or hardboard. On the right hand side of my zing I sometimes get a small flame but have read that it is normal because of the open tube of the air curtain. It always gets snuffed out within a second and never gets 1/2 way up to the lens..

Should I be paranoid cutting thin wood or is it a problem more reserved for cutting acrylic?

Roger Leiva
05-13-2012, 10:46 PM
Nathan, Greetings. One of the basic rules to operate a laser machine is not running to leave her alone, because it could eventually provoked a flame that cuts into the material, which can be controlled immediately. But his machineand mine, that are of Epilog, are very safe if you use the assistant air andex haust fumes indicated. I am always aware of my machine and constantly short plywood and acrylic. I care not if the material is highly flammable, rather than to stop working compressor or air assist pump. If you ever see a significant name, open the door of the machine and the laser automaticallygoes down.
It is important to have a fire extinguisher as precausión, but in three years of operating and Helix Mini, I had no problems burning on my machine.
I wonder if any has had problems with fire in your machine.
Roger Leiva (Costa Rica), Helix 24, 60 Watt.

Joe Pelonio
05-13-2012, 11:04 PM
With air assist on you really shouldn't be getting any flareup at all, any is too much because it means scorched edges
at the least, smoke on the lenses that means more cleaning, in addition to the obvious fires. It sound like either not enough air pressure, or your power is too low to go fast enough. In the latter case it helps to apply transfer tape on top and mist with water, saturating it before running.

Rodne Gold
05-14-2012, 1:54 AM
In my Opinion ANY flame in the laser is not good and no matter how "flameproof" you think the job is , it's murphy's law that when you walk away to spend a penny or make a cuppa - its gonna start burning :)

Mike Null
05-14-2012, 7:05 AM
Materials are inconsistent and therefore dangerous. You can also make a simple mistake in your artwork and cause a fire.

Don't leave your machine!!!

nathan mcafee
05-14-2012, 2:34 PM
Thanks, Just went and bought the top quality airbrush pump I could fine. Going to return the harbor freight model, it just isn't powerful enough to do the air curtain on the Zing. I called Epilog CS and asked what the appropriate specs were for the Zing curtain and all they could tell me is "enough".

I appreciate the help.

Darren Weir
05-14-2012, 3:52 PM
This shouldn't be an issue, however your welcome to visit my shop to see "normal" operations with acrylic. I'm right down the road in Little Elm, TX.