PDA

View Full Version : Bad Start

Sid Matheny
05-13-2012, 5:46 PM
This is not the way I wanted to start Mother's Day.

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af350/Sidro59/TruckTreeSmall.jpg

Yes that is my truck under my neighbors Bradford pear.:(

We had a strong storm come through last night and early this morning. The whole tree didn't come down, just some big limbs split down the trunk. The house where the tree was is a rent house but the guy that owns it came over and the two of us got it cleaned off. The top in caved in about 3" from the passengers door over half way across, cab stop light busted and a few scratches. No glass broken. We have the same insurance and we both took pictures and I'll see what the insurance company says tomorrow. When he cuts the rest of the tree down next week I will get the trunk for a few bowls but had rather waited until he just wanted to cut it down.

Sid

John Keeton
05-13-2012, 5:55 PM
Sid, that makes me nauseous!! Bradford pears are notorious for giving way in storms, and I sure hate you were a victim. I wonder if the wood is cursed??!!:eek: I might be afraid to put any of it on my lathe if I were you!;):rolleyes:

David DeCristoforo
05-13-2012, 6:49 PM
That is a major bummer. But hey... it's free wood....

Bernie Weishapl
05-13-2012, 9:29 PM
Boy that is a bummer. Hope things work out for you Sid.

Baxter Smith
05-13-2012, 9:53 PM
Bummer! That free wood definitely isn't free!

Steve Schlumpf
05-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Man... sorry to see that! Hopefully everything can be repaired quickly and you'll have some pear to add to your turning wood stash!

Alan Trout
05-13-2012, 10:16 PM
If you have comprehensive/non-collision coverage on you auto then it should be covered under that policy. I wish you luck. Hopefully it is some nice wood which might make it a little better.

Alan

Steve Vaughan
05-13-2012, 10:19 PM
That's a serious bummer. Hope this turns out to be a good outcome besides free wood!

Mike Peace
05-13-2012, 10:49 PM
I love B Pear. I figure it will give you a good story to go with any piece you turn from that tree.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-13-2012, 10:59 PM
Sid.....sorry about the truck!

Kathy Marshall
05-13-2012, 11:29 PM
Ouch! Not even the best free wood is worth getting your truck smashed! Hopefully your neighbors home insurance will cover the damage.

Ed Morgano
05-13-2012, 11:43 PM
That's definitely a bummer.

Michelle Rich
05-14-2012, 6:11 AM
been there, done that. Years ago, i had bought a brand new truck..4 wks later a huge 70 ft poplar fell on mine..collapsed the cab, hood, etc. Totalled the car. I was inside & watched it happen! A terrible feeling! sorry it happened to you. Aren't turners funny..yeahbut, look at the turning wood!!!!always a bright side!!!

Russell Eaton
05-14-2012, 7:00 AM
Sid that stinks. That is the reason I cut both of mine down. They make nicer bowls than trees.

Faust M. Ruggiero
05-14-2012, 7:25 AM
Tough day, Sid. Today will be better as soon as the insurance adjuster comes through. On the plus side, you have a inspiration for bowl names made from the BP.
faust

Sid Matheny
05-14-2012, 8:14 PM
I'll take the truck to the local Ford dealer tomorrow to get the repairs started. I just don't understand insurance I guess because my insurance has to pay and I have to pay the deductible. The owner of the tree is out nothing. Sounds dumb to me but what does an old redneck know!:confused:

Sid