PDA

View Full Version : A Flower for Mothers Day

Baxter Smith
05-13-2012, 3:28 PM
Last month, Charles Farrar did an interesting demo on scalloped edge bowls at the Chesapeake woodturners meeting in Annapolis. This was my first attempt at something similar.
Gave it a small foot to begin with but left a tiny tenon for centering up inside the foot... just in case.;) Because of the initial color and spring season, I ended up sticking it on a pedestal.
It was then stuck on the dining room table this morning for the mother of my children.
Guess my wife is stuck with it.;):)

Osage Orange and walnut:
10 1/2" h x 6 1/2" w
Finished with Bush Oil then buffed with tripoli and Ren wax.

Since the memory of the time spent grinding and sanding has not yet been completely forgotten, I am not sure there will ever be an improved version.
Any comments, critiques or suggestions for improvement are appreciated and will be filed away for future reference though!:)

Ken Fitzgerald
05-13-2012, 3:37 PM
I'm sure your wife will cherish it. And I am sure I won't be trying anything like it. It looks beautiful but laborious!

Bernie Weishapl
05-13-2012, 3:41 PM
Really nice Baxter. I am not sure I would attempt something like that. Really well done.

Lionel Mercier
05-13-2012, 3:47 PM
Yes many grinding and sanding work, but the end result is worth :)
Congrats.

Rick Markham
05-13-2012, 4:50 PM
That's spectacular Baxter! It's perfect, I love the stem too!

John Keeton
05-13-2012, 5:36 PM
Since the memory of the time spent grinding and sanding has not yet been completely forgotten...And, that alone would be reason enough to admire this piece, notwithstanding the excellent job you did with it!! Baxter, I just don't have the patience for this type of work, but I admire your fine example. And, to have done it with osage is even more impressive!

Tony Pridmore
05-13-2012, 5:40 PM
Beautiful work, Baxter. You are obviously a quick learner.

Roger Chandler
05-13-2012, 5:44 PM
Fine piece, Baxter..........your skill set is expanding at a rapid rate..........I have not even gone anywhere near carving ......nice stuff!

David DeCristoforo
05-13-2012, 6:03 PM
Outstanding workmanship. Like many others, I have little patience for work like this. But that does not stop me from appreciating it!

Kelvin Burton
05-13-2012, 6:31 PM
Baxter, did you take any pictures of the process? The results are great, would enjoy seeing the steps it took to get there! I love Osage Orange, that will look very different in a year or so!

Dennis Ford
05-13-2012, 6:42 PM
Great job! I suspect that you will do more of this design even though you will not forget how long it took.

Steve Schlumpf
05-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Very nice work Baxter!! Great job on keeping the walls consistent thickness! Bet your wife loves it!! Great gift!

Alan Trout
05-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Baxter,

That is a really nice piece and a wonderful gift.

Alan

Kathy Marshall
05-13-2012, 11:36 PM
Wonderful piece Baxter! I really like how the grain is oriented and the scalloped rim turned out great! I'm sure your wife must love it! I can't appreciate the time and effort to shape it, but I can appreciate the results!

Michelle Rich
05-14-2012, 6:13 AM
lovely, baxter..the craftmanship is super...

Prashun Patel
05-14-2012, 8:43 AM
That's cool. I'd love to see pix of the process some time.

Baxter Smith
05-14-2012, 8:46 AM
Thanks for your supportive comments! They are appreciated but haven't quite convinced me to start another!;):)

Baxter, did you take any pictures of the process? The results are great, would enjoy seeing the steps it took to get there! I love Osage Orange, that will look very different in a year or so!
No pictures Kevin, though I was thinking later that I should have. Just for the sake of helping me remember what I did. I don't know if there are u-tube video's out there that show the process or not. This one started with a bowl shape that had an undercut rim, slanted at about 45 degrees to the outside, and was about 2" in width across the top. I then marked 5 points along the outside edge in somewhat of a star shape. I connected those freehand with curves going from the inside edge of the rim to the outside. An in and out line. You then grind away on either side of the ins and outs until everything is blended. You have to leave the lower part of the bowl thicker to begin with to support the grinding around the rim.

Great job! I suspect that you will do more of this design even though you will not forget how long it took.
Dennis, having just completed the osage part when you posted your pie crust bowl, I could fully appreciate the work you had put into it, and yours had twice the ins and outs!:)

And, that alone would be reason enough to admire this piece, notwithstanding the excellent job you did with it!! Baxter, I just don't have the patience for this type of work, but I admire your fine example. And, to have done it with osage is even more impressive!
John, it seems that many roll their eyes at working with it yet others love it. I have turned quite a few bowls and canisters out of the osage I recently cut. It has all been green, but I have enjoyed working with it. I may change my mind when it comes time to finish the canisters/boxes.:)

steven carter
05-14-2012, 1:05 PM
Very nice, I'm sure your wife will cherish it for years to come. If you think about it, re-post after the top darkens.

Bill Wyko
05-14-2012, 1:34 PM
When I saw this thread was by you Baxter, I knew it would be cool. Absolutely georgous my friend. Is the process similar to the way I made the Illusion where you grind down with a ball grinder?

Tim Rinehart
05-14-2012, 2:10 PM
Baxter, that came out really nice. Scalloping takes a bit of imagination to envision the shape after getting rid of so much material inside and out. My first piece that I scalloped was the holly form from the B&B contest, but then I decided against the inner edges and just kept the outside flaring sections.
Charles is a local member down here and he makes this process look much easier than it is to execute well.
Very well done, and I'm sure a well received Mother's Day gift.

Baxter Smith
05-14-2012, 9:01 PM
.... If you think about it, re-post after the top darkens.
I will be interested to see how much it changes myself never having turned osage before. It has already lost some of its brightness

....Is the process similar to the way I made the Illusion where you grind down with a ball grinder?
Bill, I used a cone shaped round nose grinder( had a different name though) held in an electric drill. Did a lot with a microplane too.

... My first piece that I scalloped was the holly form from the B&B contest, but then I decided against the inner edges and just kept the outside flaring sections.
Charles is a local member down here and he makes this process look much easier than it is to execute well.
Went back and checked out your beast again Tim and could see the similarities. One of the best parts of doing this was simply coming to understand how things like this are done. When I first looked at your beast last summer, I didn't have much of a clue on how you did it.:) Charles was a good teacher and I enjoyed his demo. He had lots of tools that might make the next one faster, but having a better picture in my mind of what was going on would definitely be the best one.