PDA

View Full Version : Disston D3 saw vise - Is it really that great?

James Taglienti
05-12-2012, 8:24 PM
So I found a Disston D3 saw vise yesterday with the guide and all.

Until now I have been filing saws in my bench vise with two auxiliary pieces of wood clamping it. I was able to joint and file rip saws very easily. They come out looking and working great. Crosscut is more difficult for me, and the teeth are acceptable, but some are not as even as I would like. They cut decently.

My question is - Will this vise and guide improve my game on crosscut saws or is it a gimmick? Because im not sure its worth keeping if it is a pain to use.

Thank you!

Jim Matthews
05-12-2012, 9:48 PM
This is a good question.

I have found two things improved my saw filing;
marking the teeth with a black magic marker,
using a magnifying glass to check my progress.

It's my belief that the guides force you to cut in an even stroke.
How much that can improve your crosscut filing can only be tested one way...

James Taglienti
05-12-2012, 10:31 PM
True!
I cant try it until next week. I found it 1000 miles from home...

Jeff Heath
05-13-2012, 12:11 PM
I'll be interested in hearing what you have to say after you get to use it. Everytime I have found one of those, it has sold for more money than I was willing to spend.

After using two pieces of wood clamped in my Wilton vise for a long time, I just sprung for the Grammercy 14" saw vise yesterday. It'll be here Tuesday, so I'm looking forward and hoping it's as nice as everyone says it is.

I'm filing more and more these days, as friends and their friends are starting to send their saws to me for filing, so the 2-pieces-of-wood vise had to go.

Jeff

Jim Matthews
05-15-2012, 1:28 PM
The Grammercy vise is what Matt Cianci uses, in his marathon sessions.

He could buy what he likes.
That settled my choice.

I mount mine in my Moxxon, and file standing up.

FYI - Don't wear a nice shirt when you're filing, unless you want it "ventilated".
DAMHIKT

Chuck Nickerson
05-16-2012, 12:57 PM
James - for you the 3D may not be worth keeping. You take some pride in using the simplest tool possible. (That's not a bad thing.)
I use my 3D with guide every third filing or so, just to help straighten things up.

Pat Zabrocki
05-16-2012, 2:40 PM
I have the Grammercy but one of the nice things about a 3d is that you can angle the vise to file sloped gullets rather than angling your stroke, or so it would appear.
pat