PDA

View Full Version : Bookshelf for daughter

daniel lane
05-12-2012, 7:51 PM
Thought I'd share a little project with you guys. I figure I have lots of room to improve and can benefit not only from the practice, but from the comments from the group. So, while it's not exactly on par with what George posts (give me time!), may I present Bookshelf For Daughter.

The missus felt that it would be nice if our little girl had a bookshelf for some of her books and (bless her!) asked if I'd like to make one instead of buying one. Of course I jumped on a chance at sanctioned time in the workshop. Giving the design about 5 minutes' thought, I picked up some poplar at the BORG - one piece of 1/2x5x24, one 1x4x48, and one 5/8x36 dowel. I didn't think to capture the build process until after I'd already traced and cut the side shapes, unfortunately, as it would have been amusing to show how I traced the curve from the shop trash can! I cut the sides on the bandsaw and sanded them to the line to get the curve. Next up, mortising for the mounting hardware:

An improvised mortising bench using my sawbench, a clamp, and a moving blanket for comfort. It was fun using a 1/2" mortising chisel on 3/4" wide wood! I used a square and knifed a line 2" down from the top then place the mounting hardware at the line and market the other end of the mortice. Then I used a marking gauge to mark the outside edges of the mortise (set using the hardware again). I used the 1/2" mortising chisel to dig it all out, 1" bench plane to clean up the sides, and my small router plane to level the bottom for the hardware. First one took me about 15 minutes, I was so paranoid about blowing out the side, but the second one took me just 5 minutes:

Next up was cutting a stopped dado for the shelf. I eyeballed the position of the shelf, then knifed the lines and cut a wedge out on the waste side for the saw plate. I bored and chiseled out a hole at the end of the cut for the sawdust to discharge and cut the sides of the dado with my LV small crosscut saw:

A bit of chisel work and I had the stopped dado. It was tricky, since I have put a 1/8" roundover on the shelf front (toddler's room, remember) and I don't have any gouges! I had to slowly chisel away material to make a rounded dado to match the shelf, and the smallest chisel I have is 1/8". I wound up cutting the corner at 45º and using a fishtail chisel to make it square underneath, then slowly just rounded over about 1/8" at the face of the side. Ugly, but hidden and it worked well:

While it doesn't truly suck, the first one was a little loose:

231970 231971

The next step was lining up for the dado in the other side. I try hard not to measure, so I just clamped the two sides together after lining up the hardware mortises:

Yeah, looks like I could to a better job squaring up my mortise edges, but since these will be against the wall and not visible... Following the same process, I cut the dado in the other side. Unfortunately, I didn't photograph the result, but this one was tighter. (I can learn!) Next step was marking for the dowel holes, but let's get the thread started so I can post more photos.

To be continued...

daniel lane
05-12-2012, 7:53 PM
Continuing...

I eyeballed at 3" and measured from the top of the dado, then marked in referencing the back:

231974 231975

After drilling the holes, I was left with "Tiki-Surfboard-Man":

Sanded the pieces while they were loose, then glued up and clamped the assembly:

I squared up everything in the clamps, but forgot to check for wind. Doh!

I held it up against the wall and it's not really a problem, so... In case you think you see a pattern here, it's not laziness, it's fear of getting into that "this sideburn is shorter than the other" thing where you end up with a high-and-tight.

Anyway, a couple of coats of paint later, and here's the final result:

231979 231980

Hopefully, she will enjoy it. :)

Regards,

daniel

Don Dorn
05-12-2012, 8:56 PM
Perhaps I'm just blind, but what hardware did you use to attach to the wall? I see the mortises, but not sure how you utilizied them. You've given me a great idea for the new reader in our family so hope you don't mind my using your great idea.

Jim Matthews
05-12-2012, 9:43 PM
Neat, clean and effective.

My boys have bookshelves, which they don't use.
If I had something at eye level, they couldn't claim to "not see it".

If I want their room to look as neat as yours; I would need a shovel, dumpster and a match.

Well done.

daniel lane
05-14-2012, 1:45 AM
Thanks, Jim. My son has a 3 cube by 3 cube bookshelf with some fabric drawers - something we found at Target that worked at the time. 95% of his toys and books are on the floor in front of it. My daughter's room was a bit better, but not perfect - I shoveled everything out of the way for the pictures. ;)

daniel

daniel lane
05-14-2012, 1:51 AM
Perhaps I'm just blind, but what hardware did you use to attach to the wall? I see the mortises, but not sure how you utilizied them. You've given me a great idea for the new reader in our family so hope you don't mind my using your great idea.

Don,

I used keyhole fasteners from Lowe's:

I don't have a keyhole router bit or I would have used that, but the fasteners have the benefit of being shallower and stronger. With some tweaking of the screws on the wall, you can actually get this really snug so it doesn't wobble/etc. (which is why I didn't worry much about that bit of wind at the end).

And please steal the idea! It wasn't really original with me, I just built something based on the memory of something from a pottery barn catalog from a year ago. :D

daniel

Jim Koepke
05-14-2012, 12:14 PM
As they say, cute as a button…

jtk

Don Dorn
05-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Thank you - I'm just finishing an "American Doll" mini closet and I'll begin this bookshelf next. Glad I found this thread.

Don,

I used keyhole fasteners from Lowe's:

I don't have a keyhole router bit or I would have used that, but the fasteners have the benefit of being shallower and stronger. With some tweaking of the screws on the wall, you can actually get this really snug so it doesn't wobble/etc. (which is why I didn't worry much about that bit of wind at the end).

And please steal the idea! It wasn't really original with me, I just built something based on the memory of something from a pottery barn catalog from a year ago. :D

daniel