PDA

View Full Version : shadow box Q

Christopher Kanda
05-12-2012, 5:36 PM
I'm making a simple 2' x 4' x 3" deep. Do you think 1/2 thickness for the sides is too thin?

glenn bradley
05-12-2012, 6:09 PM
If it is ply and not supporting any stress, I would say you're fine. If it will be solid wood, a 48" unsupported span is pretty long. The joinery used along the edges to a back panel can solve a lot of this but, adds weight. Do you have a doodle of your design?

Christopher Kanda
05-12-2012, 6:18 PM
I don't have a sketch, and I didn't think that the weight as being an issue. I was planning on having the frame solid cherry and a back of 1/4" ply that would be screwed into the back after a fabric cover is added to it. I thought i would just make a rabbit for it to fit into.

Belton Garvin
05-16-2012, 5:24 PM
Christopher,
I don't really think there is a "simple" shadowbox. I make quite a few shadowboxes and 1/2" for 48" will be quite a span. The back will help strengthen it as long as you don't want to hang it. With only 1/2" thickness to work with it will be difficult to rabbit, I use a 3/8 rabbit to leave room for the screws holding on the back. That leaves you only 1/8" around the edge. I also make mine 3 1/4 in deep. 3" will work but you need to make your flag enclosure a little bigger to accommodate the folded flag behind. Let me know if you have anymore questions and I'll be happy to offer my suggestions on what has worked for me.