PDA

View Full Version : Should I Be Interesed In This Wood?

Scot Roberge
05-12-2012, 5:33 PM
I'm visiting family in Florida and I ran across a Craig's List ad for "Bolivian Rosewood". Go to CL, Florida, Sarasota-Bradenton and seach for "rosewood". The ad is titled "Bolivian Rosewood Logs. In case it isn't filtered, here's a link:

http:// sarasota.craigslist.org/mat/2990797673.html

I called the guy and he wasn't absolutely sure what he's got. A local told him it is not Rosewood, but Silky Oak. He's got some interest in the whole lot, but said he'd sell me a few pieces. I went to look and I am also not sure what he's got either. Don't think Silky Oak has a heartwood this dark. From what I researched before going to check it out, I expected it to be very heavy, but the weight of this wood is comparable to the White Oak we use for firewood. The bark is also similar to white oak. He had someone seal the ends, but checking had already begun. Anyway, he wants $20 for 4" diameter x 24" pieces with 3" heartwood and more for larger. He offered me two cuts from the stump (14" high by 18 to 24") with some burl showing for $60 for the pair. What to do? Suggestions, opinions and guidance appreciated.

John Keeton
05-12-2012, 5:55 PM
Scot, not knowing your general access to wood, what you want to turn from this, and actually seeing the wood up close, it is difficult to know whether you should buy any or not. Personally, I wouldn't be interested in any sapwood, but some folks turn some really neat things with sapwood/heartwood combos. If it is truly Bolivian Rosewood, it should have some beautiful color, and particularly the larger pieces from lower in the trunk that show some burl.

Jason Clark2
05-12-2012, 8:38 PM
I'd guess Indian Rosewood (NOT East Indian Rosewood). Also called Sissoo, Shisham, and sometimes Florida Rosewood or California Rosewood. If it is Sissoo it's a true Rosewood (Dalbergia Sissoo).

I'd probably pass on everything but the stumps. $60 for a couple of 14"x20"x10" chunks of Rosewood sounds very reasonable.

Jason

Bob Bergstrom
05-12-2012, 8:40 PM
I've turned rosewood from a xylophone factory. It was quite hard, polished to a high shine. It is britle and chips out if not cut right. The shavings smell a little pepperie, and will irritate your nose. John is right about the beautiful deep reds,purples and close to black streaks. Oak should be more open grained and porous looking. I made quite a few letter openers from rosewood and it made a hard durable edge that would opened a lot of envelopes without renewing the edge

Jim Burr
05-12-2012, 9:16 PM
If you were edited Scot...there is something wrong with your post. Easy to find wood on ebay or here if you pay for it.

John Beaver
05-13-2012, 12:17 AM
Bolivian Rosewood is also known as Pau ferro, Brazilian Ironwood, and Leopardtree, and it's not actually a Rosewood.
Tipuana Tipu is a Rosewood referred to as the "Pride of Bolivia" But it's a very heavy hard wood.

Scot Roberge
05-14-2012, 2:43 PM
Thanks for all of your input. I think Jason has the ID correct: Sissoo, Indian Rosewood. At any rate the guy called me today to say he now has two potential buyers interested in the whole lot - so he won't sell anything less. I've got piles of free wood at home that need my attention - so it's just as well . . .