PDA

View Full Version : inspired by SS...

Russell Eaton
05-12-2012, 4:23 PM
I turned this piece several weeks ago. I had not turned a finial for it and had applied a couple coats of walnut oil. This is the piece I asked for finishing advise on yesterday. I went with the General Finish Wood Turners Finish,"WTF" and it went on just fine. It was a little iffy this morning as it was in the low 60's when I started to apply the first coats. After seeing Steve S. hollow forms I have wanted to do one. Well here is try #1. It has no business even in the same room with Steve's work as I am not near as experienced as he is. I did give it the redneck try, and am pleased with the end result.
My best friend growing up lost his mom last week and this piece is what he chose to keep her ashes in. It is ambrosia maple, end grain, and has a lot of streaking in it. Thanks for looking, and as always comments are welcome, good or bad. Thanks Russell.

Lee Koepke
05-12-2012, 5:01 PM
That's some beautiful wood, Russell. Fabulous honor to turn something like that. I wish I could have done one for my friend.

John Keeton
05-12-2012, 5:03 PM
Wow, Russell! That is one very nice piece of maple, and you did right by it. Nice work!! I love walnut (I assume that is what you used for the finial?) and Ambrosia maple together - the colors always seem to work. What are the dimensions?

My condolences for your friend, but very fitting he chose this one - you must be honored.

Steve Schlumpf
05-12-2012, 6:42 PM
Russell - Man - that is some really nice work! Love the wood! Sorry to hear about your friend's loss but am sure he is thrilled with your HF! Seriously - very nice work and I am honored that possibly something I turned may have inspired you to do such fine work! Looking forward to seeing some more hollow forms from you!

Jamie Donaldson
05-12-2012, 7:54 PM
That is just an exceptionally nice piece of work, and wood!

Russell Eaton
05-12-2012, 9:08 PM
John, you are correct. The finial is walnut, and I forgot to give the size. It is 11" tall (with finial) and 9" wide. I am very impressed with the wood turners finish.

Mike Peace
05-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Russell, Nice job on that urn. How many coats of WTF? I just got some and am anxious to give it a try.

Bernie Weishapl
05-12-2012, 10:18 PM
Great looking piece and wood Russell. Nice finish. I love WTF.

Tom Giacomo
05-12-2012, 11:54 PM
Very nice work, looks great.

Kathy Marshall
05-13-2012, 12:30 AM
Great job Russell! Very nice piece from some fabulous wood!

Russell Eaton
05-13-2012, 7:46 AM
Mike I put on around 15 to 20 coats. I put on 5 then hit it with 0000 steel wool.i didn't stay right on it all day I just put a coat on every trip by it. I showed it to my friend and he and his wife are very happy.

Michelle Rich
05-13-2012, 8:41 AM
quite a stunning vessel

Thom Sturgill
05-13-2012, 1:20 PM
Very stunning piece of wood and you did it proud! Maybe just a touch of break in the line where the finial meets the urn, but a very nice piece overall. I like the simple finial on this piece, a more ornate one would have been in competition with the maple.

David DeCristoforo
05-13-2012, 1:25 PM
Great looking form that showcases some amazing figure. Excellent.

Ted Evans
05-13-2012, 3:27 PM
Awesome piece, both wood and treatment.