PDA

View Full Version : Grinding Challenged...Help!!

Dave Parkis
05-12-2012, 3:32 PM
For some reason I can no longer grind plane irons square freehanding them on my grinder. Does anyone know of a jig that I can build/buy to square the edges. I'm okay with the sharpening aspect, but grinding the edge square to the side is driving me nuts. I can't afford a Tormek, so that is not an option. Thanks!!

pat warner
05-12-2012, 4:22 PM
Edge/radius or edge or disk sander.

Dave Parkis
05-12-2012, 5:50 PM
Thanks Pat!! It doesn't get much simpler than that.

Don Jarvie
05-12-2012, 8:00 PM
Use a square as you go along to make sure your staying square

Bruce Wrenn
05-12-2012, 9:29 PM
Ian Kirby's book "Sharpening with Water Stones" has a very simple, but effective tool rest and holder for both plane irons and chisels.

frank shic
05-12-2012, 10:14 PM
don't feel bad, i suck at grinding and sharpening blades which is why i've gone back to power machinery lol

Terry Beadle
05-13-2012, 11:19 AM
I use Wolverine's plane blade jig. It cost a little over $100 and does a great job. I tried to google up an image of this jig but I couldn't find it. Maybe it's not sold any more. Derick's got one but it looks different than mine.

What ever method you use, the advice about frequently using a machinist square to check progress is your best bet. If you are checking your work, working slowly, and have a smoothed true side to check square from, you should be getting good results no matter what method you use.

Final square-ing is completed on the stones Arkansas's or water. I prefer water and the new 400 grit power stone Stu sold me does the job really well. Since getting the 400, I almost never have to use the slow speed grinder Woverine jig setup unless there's a chip in the blade.

Good Luck and enjoy the process !

Jeff Heath
05-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Another very inexpensive option is to get yourself some Dykem layout fluid......red is what I prefer. You can paint an inch of the back of the iron by the bevel, and with a trued square, scratch a straight line. Grind to that line. It's how I make moulding plane irons fit their profiles.

Less than $10 for the fluid and a scratch-all.

Jeff